1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 214T - Worth it to repair?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Frick, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I bought this monitor for a few bucks quite some time ago with dead caps on the PSU and the "two seconds to black" syndrome (meaning it turns on screen gets black after a few seconds). Caps was replaced, but it was still not working, so I left it at that.

Now it turns out one set of the CCFL tubes is broken. Quite broken, so I assume someone's been poking around in there, causing trouble. I did plug in some lamps from another monitor when it was in parts, and that worked, but they didn't quite fit.

So the question is: Would you consider it worth the money to get a new set of lamps? This site has a set for a whopping $60 with shipping, TWO sets can be had on ebay for roughly €35ish. One of the reasons is that it's bound to be better than the monitor I have now, aaaaaand a larger combined working area is not to be sneezed at.

Yes I could scavange lamps from various monitors (a friend of mine is a good scavanger ;)), but if I'm gonna use it I want the backlight to be somewhat consistent.

So, what is your opinion?

Some specs:
    21.3 inches
    S-PVA panel, 1600x1200
    8ms gtg
    Contrast 900:1
    Pivot, and S-VHS which I would find extremely useful

and so on

Thanks for looking!

2. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a bit much to fix an old small monitor. I bought my 24" benq for €40 second hand, so I think a good deal on a used monitor might be better. Still, if you like to fix things, €35 is a small price to pay for your hobby :)

Frick says thanks.
  3. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Problem is there are no such good deal to be found. I payed about €35 with shipping for my current monitor, and the only reason it was so cheap is that the seller was new (swedish ebay) and it didn't have a stand. Also the past couple of years used monitors have gotten crazy expensive for some reason. Normal 19 inchers gets sold for €30-40, HD monitors are rarely seen at all and if they are they go for €90 and upwards. And I live in a small place in northern sweden, most of the good trading goes on locally in metropolises :)rolleyes:) in the south. I see nice items sometimes, but plenty of people don't want to ship the monitors.

Also, this is supposed to have a decent image quality, the only general problem is inconsistent backlight, which would be solved with new lamps (and a recapped PSU, it seems that was a MAJOR issue with this thing).

4. Brusfantomet

Thanks Received:
    I would have fixed it, a 1600 x 1200 monitor is just ridiculously expensive new, and getting a working monitor for 35€ is not bad (and it is for 35€, unless you can get the money you spent on it up to this point back)

5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Get some suitably sized LED strips and replace all the CCFLs with those. Embed an adapter inside of a suitable voltage good enough to drive the LEDs and you should get the monitor better than new. ;)

6. Frick

Thanks Received:
    @Brusfantomet: Turns out it'll be closer to €50 (damn that shipping). But as I bought the monitor for less than €20 I would end up with more money if I ever sold it.

@itsakjt: Yeah been thinking about that as well. Will have to look around.

7. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't ignore the fact that color gamut and reproduction accuracy depend directly on the backlight. There are other factors, sure, but taking bog-standard "white" LEDs (which are actually blue LEDs with yellow filter coating) will net a color gamut and accuracy of a typical $350 Compaq laptop...

*shudder*

Frick and Vario say thanks.
  8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Of course. Better the LEDs, better the backlight and hence color gamut and accuracy.
    @Frick - You can also try to get a broken glass similar sized panel and salvage the CCFL units from there. ;)

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Hard option although i believe i am leaning more to no.. I have a 204B here and as long as your looking at it head on it's sweet all so have a cheap ASUS one here and it's no were near the quality ( just every things bad compared ) of the 204B and that cost then again $140 aint cheap for a display that cannot hit over 1440.

10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Had it been a normal TN panel I would probably not have got it in the first place, but it's a PVA panel. I will probably buy some tubes when I can spare the money.