1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Discussion in 'Storage' started by yogurt_21, Feb 22, 2013.

1. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Just got it this week and set it up to replace my now ancient Raptor X 150GB. (you know the one with the gimmick window so you can "see" the drive in operation...even though its in your case and you'll never look at it...)

Had read up on the marvell issues and was fully prepped to run it on sata 2 instead but I decided to give it a try on the 9128 for giggles.

turns out the marvell aint too shabby. OCe'd the pcie bus to 115 and I'm getting 450 reads, 275 writes. Sure sure well less than true sata 3 advertised speeds but still more than it does on sata2.

any ssd was going to be leaps and bounds better than the raptor but I can't say I'm disappointed that I paid a few $ more for the 840 pro. I kept my raptor for 8 years. I wanted longevity + speed. Seems like the 840 pro will give me that.
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I doubt you'll get those read/write speeds for years to come. Especially after the drive fills up and you've formatted it once or twice. Hopefully you'll get 3-4 years if life out of it. By then ssds will be dirt cheap and last twice as long.

Did you install the Samsung Magician? Just curious on your thoughts of thier software.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well that wont be bad as it still be in warranty.. And i have had my intel drives years now and they still hitting the same speeds as day one..
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    didn't install the samsung software yet, downloading now.

not really going to be filling this up atm, game loads have never been in issue and I hate the idea of moving things around due to lack of capacity. Once I start doing more multimedia editing (family stuff) I will but I'm not really worried about degradation. SSD's aren't the new kids on the block they used to be.

And really in 5 years when the warranty runs out I seriously doubt I'll be on a desktop. Not the way the market is going.