1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 840 Pro issue.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Zakin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know exactly why I may not be hitting the speeds advertised? I'm not all that horribly far off but everyone else is posting they are getting advertised speeds, already ran all the normal windows tweaks and double checked my BIOs settings for AHCI and such.

Right now getting about 375-400mb/s on sequential reads but the writes are about advertised which is 375mb/s writes or so. My 4k scores are only a few megabytes shy of advertised, thinking if I can figure out what maybe slowing it down I can get all my scores up to more like advertised.

Would greatly appreciate some input. As right now my system certainly feels a bit snappier from my Crucial drive, but overall at least synthetically my sequential aren't all that much higher than my old drive.
  2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Whats your motherboard? are you using a SATA 6Gb/s cord and plug?
  3. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6...
    Is my motherboard, as for a Sata 6GB/s cable I'm not 100% certain, never knew the cable actually mattered so that might be my issue. It is in the right plug though, I accidentally did have it in a 3GB/s initially and all it did was max the bandwidth of that slot.
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well if you are getting over 375+mb than it's for sure in a SATA 6Gb/s slot, but I've never have tried with a SATA 3Gb/s cord you may want to look and check the cord. There are some brands of SATA that claim to be SATA6, but can't actually maintain that speed do to poor cord quality.

So if I had to say I personally think your 840 is fine it maybe a driver thing with the MB.

When you installed your SSD did you make sure to switch to AHCI? and not IDE
  5. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    I may just start swapping cables between my couple of drives to see if anything cool happens to the scores. As for AHCI, mobo has been set to it the whole time, setup windows exactly the same as I used to with my Crucial M4 as well. I'm beginning to think the problem lies elsewhere.
  6. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
  7. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    I originally didn't wish to double post, but Kei, I swapped my sata cable from my mechanical drive right above to my 840 Pro and magically got proper speeds. So I guess I was likely using an entirely ancient cable. (Don't doubt it I have boxes full of ancient cables so for all I know that was a Sata from a decade ago.)