• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDIT

Im going to go mental if i have to RMA my brand new Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD.

The data migration tool is a complete JOKE. What the heck is "Cloning failed. Target Disk has been disconnected."? Never had a problem with my Crucial drive or even the OCZ SSD i got when everyone was shitting on OCZ at the time.

Tried all the google gubbins; tried Samsungs Magician tool secure erase with a usb drive, tried swapping sata ports, the pulling the power cable from the drive for a few seconds. Something about AHCI FREEZE when i tried to use the windows version of the secure erase, something about passwords and locking out the drive or something about controllers on the motherboard and bios versions. The drive SHOWS in windows as properly recognised and even initializes.

What a hunk of crap, either there's a problem with the SSD or some issue interfering or the tool is just a piece of crap and there's bugger all wrong.

System Name $580 Ebay Deal Abomination
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 (3.33GHz 6-core)
Motherboard HP Z400
Cooling 92mm exhaust, 92mm intake
Memory 12GB ECC DDR3 (triple channel)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 760
Storage 2x Crucial M500 240GB (RAID 0)
Display(s) BenQ XL2720Z
Case HP Z400
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply HP Z400 (475W)
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated
I don't get it... are you asking if there's a better way to clone your drive than the included software?

If we're talking free software, Macrium Reflect is my go-to.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @MilkyWay

I'd do as @HWTactics suggested and give it a try with a different cloning software. If the migration fails with the other software, it's probably best to contact your SSD manufacturer's technical support and let them know about your issues with the product. Since it's a new one, you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement.
I'd also recommend you to take a look at the steps from this tutorial and make sure that you haven't missed anything in your first attempt.

Hope it helps. :) Keep us posted though!
SuperSoph_WD

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Funny how I went from an old OCZ Petrol to the 850 and used the migration tool, went perfectly.

EaseUS worked for me the one time I used it.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Funny how I went from an old OCZ Petrol to the 850 and used the migration tool, went perfectly.

EaseUS worked for me the one time I used it.
i used it also for a OCZ Vertex III (that is still in use in my main rig)

The problem is that with the migration tool you cant tell if its just that software thats at fault or something else. You just get a generic error.
I'm trying another program. Keep you up to date

Also just remembered no i don't dual boot not that it would have mattered because i removed my other 2 drives off chance they interfered.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
The problem is that with the migration tool you cant tell if its just that software thats at fault or something else. You just get a generic error.
I'm trying another program. Keep you up to date

Also just remembered no i don't dual boot not that it would have mattered because i removed my other 2 drives off chance they interfered.

I'd suggest you to test the SSD with any SSD-specific diagnostic tool, it would help you obtain more details about the solid state drive's health and S.M.A.R.T. status. You should check your manufacturer's website first, if they have such a utility available for download.

SuperSoph_WD

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsungs own tool says SMART is fine.

Anyway cut a story short i ended up installing Windows 10 insider preview and just copying over a few files to that install, handily most of my stuff is kept on a 2tb HDD so i needn't deal with that. When i had Windows 7 and tried to copy it over I royally buggered up the bootloader somehow and couldn't repair it at all, i think it was some problem with windows changing drive letters around but not changing any of the related guffins so i had MAJOR problems with temporary profiles and shit. Tried tonnes of command line repairs none of which worked. When i got Windows 10 set up i wanted to resize a partition, so i opened up paragon partition manger and clicked the resize partition tab on its main menu. Windows started mess up so i tried a restart but i had to use the install disc to so some command line repairs one of which worked a charm. I hadn't even done any re-sizing i just clicked the link to open the re-size tool.

Seems to be alright now.

Probably sell the Crucial SSD and reinstall Arch on the 128gb OCZ.

Messed up my profile during the SSD fiasco and thus my documents folder so now i have no Witcher 3 save. I was sure GOG Galaxy cloud saved but alas it doesn't which is bollocks as every other distribution software offers it.