1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung, Apple... and YOU

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Sasqui, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Drum roll... it's coming.

What do you think the verdict will be? My guess is there will be something against Samsung, but it'll be a slap on the wrist.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-samsung-final-pitch-jury-002855075.html

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Apple is essentially demanding a monopoly, the court should realize that, and rule in favor of Samsung.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Man I hope so... but you never know what'll happen between lawyers and a jury.

I recall hearing that Samsung had a counter-suit, but no mention of that in the article that I saw.

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's this bit:

And I'm not sure about this one. Some of Samsungs stuff did look a lot like Apples stuff (as opposed to say Sony or Nokia), but it'd be bad if everything Apple asked for came through. Pretty exciting anyway.

Sasqui says thanks.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I did see that.

6. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    Gettem' Sammy!

7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Go samsung!

If the court calls in favor of Apple im moving to Mars. Ill make that rover a manned space craft. :D

8. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I hope they both get fined a massive amount of money for wasting the courts time.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  9. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    My money is on Apple paying off the jury and maybe even the judge. Good old fashioned bribery.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I fail to care about large corporations bitching at each other over money. I hope they both lose in some way or another.

D4S4 and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I want out of this is to be able to keep my Galaxy S III. I guess if Samsung takes it in the dumper here, I lose my kick ass phone/tablet:(

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Samsung isn't what Apple has to worry about right now, Google owned Motorola is attacking Apple for infringements on intellectual property. IIRC, it's on several non-standard patents. Not that halting all iPhone, iPad, and iPod sales will succeed, but it is an aggressive stance that Google and the rest of the Android market needs to take. Apple will grind the competition down with lawsuits until Apple can convince the court that they own everything. I like Apple and the products that they produce, but they deserve a big, nasty, backlash from all of this.

13. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking, if Apple were to win this (square devices with rectangular HD screens) battle, not even getting into the icons and software, doesn't that mean Apple could then go after TV makers if they are awarded the win on this one?

14. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Samsung better win this one. I am getting sick of Apple this and Apple that. If and when Samsung wins this one, they should go after Apple for wasting there time.

Now all we have to do is StOp BuYiNg aPpLe JuNk...:D

15. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't Steve Jobs who kept Apple alive?

16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I have no doubt that Samsung has pointed that out!

Apple cobbled together existing technologies to form the majority of thier products, ergo the iPhone. I think that's another argument to make... it really wasn't anything new.

17. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Not to condone what Samsung is being accused of, and bringing in a little bit of what I've been learning at work, but copying (or copyright infringement as is the case here) is almost necessary to keeping up with the demands of a market. For me, I am learning to create a menu, but don't have lots of experience in a kitchen, so many people have told me just to recreate items from other places I have seen, which seems odd, but is a great way to nurture my own ability in seeing what works. If Samsung didn't possibly do what they did, then would any/all other smart phones be able to compete with the iPhone in the way they do now? And then look at cars, one day one man or company made one, since then, everything essentially is a partial copy of that. Competition is great for every business because it pushes them to new heights and keeps things fresh, and yes unfortunately sometimes deceitful tactics have to be used to stay in competition.

EDIT: Look at Blackberries, they jump started the smartphone revolution, gained a large foothold in the corporate world, but now are about even with Apple. I've only had one chance to use one of the first touch screen phones Blackberry did, and the screen actually functioned as a button like a mouse button to select something, but otherwise worked like my iPhone for just basic touches, to me for the time it came out and with all the other available Android based touchscreen phones, it just seemed antiquated, and almost stupid.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. Patents exist to recoup research costs and looking at Apple's profits says loud and clear that they are way beyond recouping costs. I wish the judge would redirect the case to FTC for an anti-trust hearing instead. This goes so far beyond Apple vs Samsung.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've been involved in patents, and have my name on a few through the company I used to work for. They pointed out that, for the most part, their patents are typically not an OFFENSIVE tool, but rather a DEFENSIVE tool should someone come along claiming infringement.

And look at this analysis (go Samsung, go Google!):

20. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, everyone has copied IBM in one way or another...

21. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I suspect that Apple will win a sizeable settlement in this one. What the jury is attempting to decide is whether or not Samsung infringed upon some of the patents that Apple was granted. If you look at the patents, there isn't any question that Samsung infringed on them. The patents that Apple was granted were probably way too general in nature. The American patent system needs to be revamped so that patents can only be granted to very specific ideas or designs. Unfortunately for Samsung, they are probably very screwed in this particular case.

22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Well what needs to happen at the patent office is to get rid of the people who work there because they are all older and don't have a clue about technology. Most of the things Apple is patenting are either ideas not actual technology, and stealing tech from other companies and trying to get patents for it. Apple just wants a monoply at this point.

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Droids love eating Apples

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i agree. Ya back in day non Ibm pcs were called Ibm clones

I remember Macs having clones by Power Computing back in the day

INSTG8R says thanks.
  25. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    thats pretty sick that big company use court as battle ground to stop the other
    why? coz they could stop them in the market so they bring it to the court to stop samsung
    Apple is getting more and more annoying

Sorry Apple you just over the line, i hope someone gonna eat you soon!!! ALIVE