1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung developes World's Fastest GDDR4 memory chips

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Feb 14, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Samsung Electronics today claimed that it has developed the world's fastest graphics memory – a GDDR4 graphics DRAM chip with much faster processing than an earlier version that Samsung prototyped only four months ago. According to Samsung, the new GDDR4 memory is designed with 80-nanometer process technology and can process data at 12.8GB/sec, about 30 percent faster than the existing prototypes. The 512Mbit GDDR4 graphics DRAM comes with 32 input/output pins, each of which transfers data at 3.2Gbit/sec. This allows it to transfer the equivalent of up to six DVD-quality movies every second. The memory chips will be used in next generation video cards. The company said it plans mass production of the new product next month.

Source: DigiTimes

2. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    omg this is huge, I did the right choice saving my money

3. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to see that GDDR4 is on its way in full force. I hope that ATi and nVidia would do the right thing and make their next-gen cards DX10 ready and it would be perfect.

4. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    we`ll reach the time where the vga card will be worth as an entire desktop pc......

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    About the whole "GPU > Desktop"...you're acting as if it hasnt done that already lol. any card $300+ is worth as much as or is better then a turd desktop PC.

6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No joke, a $600 dollar video costs as much as a good processor, motherboard, RAM, and maybe even some hard drives combined.