1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung HDD causing problems

Discussion in 'Storage' started by yuri221, Jul 10, 2012.

1. yuri221 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, my samsung HDD been acting really strange lately.
    At first my PC started to get stuck on "Starting windows" screen at boot and after a while it would stay there for hours.
    So I decided to just reinstall windows. After the installation was almost complete it would always get stuck on "Completing installation".
    So after fucking around for hours I discovered my samsung HDD was causing all of this. And I could install windows without a problem if I disconnected it.
    Now, I assume if I reconnect it again my PC won't boot ( I forgot to mention I have 2 hdds 1 samsung and 1 western digital).
    So the question is way could possibly be the problem and how do I fix it?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    You dont need to post your thread 3 times, once should suffice
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    BIOS might not be set right for the drive, Windows might need a different driver for the controller, or the drive itself might be hosed.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm just going to post what I put in the other thread (I recommend locking two of the three.)

Sounds like time to boot off an Ubuntu LiveCD, open a terminal and run the following (I'm assuming your hdd will show up as /dev/sda):

Code:
    sudo su -
    apt-get install smartctl
    smartctl -t short /dev/sda
    # wait 5 to 10 minutes.
    smartctl -a /dev/sda
    Nothing like a short smart test and smart logs to tell you if you're drive is really dying. Don't just go shipping it back to Samsung before you verify that it is faulty because then you could have wasted your time and money to ship it.
  5. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    Samsung has one of the best RMA services in the buisness, i would say contact them and let them know what your issues are. for me they gave me a prepaid overnight shipping to them and overnighted my replacement drive to me, in total i spent 3 days in RMA limbo :)
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Not anymore... Seagate bought out Samsung's HDD division so any RMAs will now have to go through them.

First RMA with seagate after the buyout and they lost my hard drive i was RMA'ing and wouldnt send a replacement till I had provided them a tracking number which of course i had.

Process took more then a month instead of 2weeks as they originally stated, I didnt know what was going on and thought that was the time needed for processing.

I wouldnt of needed to deal with Seagate if Samsung didnt screw me over right before the handover to seagate before christmas with a hard drive that hummed so much it created its own bloody gravitational field. Totally unf**king usable!!