1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Interested in Possible SanDisk Acquisition?

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Sep 5, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Samsung Electronics, the world's largest maker of flash memory chips, said today that it is considering an acquisition of SanDisk Corp.
    said James Chung, a spokesman at Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung. Possible acquiring of SanDisk would help Samsung save about 400 billion won ($355 million) in royalties annually, it has been reported.
    said Lee Sun Tae, an independent analyst at Meritz Securities Co in Seoul. On the other side, Mike Wong - SanDisk's official spokesman said that SanDisk is not aware of Samsung being interested in any acquisition. Expect more information, when there's any.

Source: Indiatimes

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well if it does happen then Samsung will gain a huge chunk more 'media' market share.

Samsung make a ton of things & having another memory manufacturer such as Sandisk who excell at make portable/removable storage media for digi cams & mp3 players etc etc will benefit both Samsung & Sandisk greatly as both brands make MP3 players

not that Samsung actually needs the extra help with memory manufacturer.

Samsung makes, the little ram chips, TVs, Digi cams, MP3 players. moble phones. TFT monitor screens, laptops & maybe a few more items. is the anything Samsung doesnt do???

3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if this would mean a better SSD?

4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a win win for us. I think Sandisk is a pretty big company, and not in direct competition with Samsung. If anything, the prices will go down on sandisk drives as they become the same company now.

5. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree, i hope they do merge. That would more than likely mean that ssd would come down in price and up in performance.

6. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    if they do get sandisk, that means cheaper microsd cards for my instinct lol.

7. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am feeling curious that this has something to do with the SSD race. Think about it. SanDisk makes rather very fast portable storage drives. If Samsung aquires SanDisk technololgies that could be used or modified for the SSDs, we might have a new winner to claim the performance crown.

8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i bet that's what happens wonder if they do if that means we get samsung HDD at BBY the i could get them cheap :D

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if this will help their TV area. Not like the TVs are bad, but add memory to them or something? Who knows, I just like the thought!

10. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love their TVs, the LN series roxors. But I don't really think Sammy won't go far with SSD research as a good TV ingredient. Maybe if they were thinking of shoving SSDs in the TVs that would be a different story.