1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Laptop With Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Dec 19, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine is looking to buy a Samsung laptop, he's pretty adamant about wanting Samsung, and it has to have blu-ray. I looked on NewEgg, why is it that Samsung's models seem to not offer blu-ray? Only 1 model has it, and it's a recertified one. Can anyone make any suggestions, even if not Samsung? Maybe I could talk him out of his fanboyism. His most important issues are:

Blu-ray
    LED Screen
    Resolution higher than 1366x768
    Good battery life
    Would prefer 15" screen over 17"
    Price around $1000, preferably less

2. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    you could just buy a normal samsung laptop with a DVD drive and find a similar blu-ray to swap into the bay.

Most laptops have a special bezel that comes with the pre installed drive. These can be removed with a small screw driver and a little care.

You then source a drive that will fit in the hole. Some laptops need a specific drive shape. The standard (oem) bezel probably won't let the drive sit flush into the machine, But once the bezels are swapped you would never know the difference!

I've done it a few times on laptops without any problems. Just make sure you get the correct drive type. The sata and power need to be in the same spot on the drive, and the overall dimensions need to be similar as well.

3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was also curious, what does "blu-ray enabled" mean? It seems like an odd term I'm seeing on NewEgg. Is it any different from an actual blu-ray drive?

4. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    lol just means it has a Blu-ray drive thats all... It's the new marketing system for PC's they say Blu-ray enabled... Rather than Blu-ray drive... Same goes for ram. they say a system has 4 gigabyte memory, rather than it has 4 GB of ram. Just watch some of your local PC shop adverts on the TV... you'll be infuriated in a few minutes :D

Ready = it doesn't have the component but putting the component name here may lead you to believe it does.
    Enabled = it actually has the component.
    Memory = ram
    Storage = hard drive capacity
    HD screen means it's probably not 1080p unless it says it is.

I hate pc stores for attempting to simplify things when they were perfectly fine with the industry standard names.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow yea, clear as mud... here's one that calls it out (sort of):

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R580-JSB1US-features

Google " TS-LB23 "

6. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Intel Core i5 430 - that's last generation stuff. Look at one with a 4 digit prefix. I5 2350 ect for the sandy bridge stuff.

this one would probably fit your needs better.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-RF511-S04US

That looks like a standard Blu-ray player. When you get the laptop whip out the DVD drive and take it to your local PC shop. You should be able to compare the drives side by side. Provided the fittings are the same it will work. There is no need to pay over the odds for a branded samsung drive when it's probably a re branded cheap one anyway.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011