• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Launches First Monitors in UHD Line to Deploy AMD's FreeSync Technology

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
As a U28D590D user, unless they've reworked that stand, I'd stay away from these two. The stand is very flimsy and wobbles under even the slightest vibrations (such as typing). Also the monitor lacks VESA mounts, if you want to use your own clamp-stand.

Ive boosted mine up on a amp , yet it is a little wobbly . Still the picture is worth it for the price

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
The U24E590D is priced at $399.99 and will be available beginning July 26, 2015. The U28E590D is $599.99 and available now.

That is very affordable. I have no reason not to upgrade to 4K now.

They are quantum dot backlit tvs. The underlying monitor technology is likely either IPS family or VA family. It's just an improvement in light production not a huge overhaul of screen making like OLED is but OLED has a whole host of problems with being long term technology atm.

Yeah... they're using colorIQ backlight from Nanosys, I think. It can produce over 90% of the rec 2020 color space, the largest color space identified. That's impressive. backlight is more uniform too compared to white LED backlighting, which is horrible and bleeds through light colors.
The SUHD TV from Samsung I saw the other looked amazing. It was selling for $1600, which isn't much for a 4K 52" TV TBH.

System Name Raistlin
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S with dual fans
Memory 32GB G.Skill 3600MHz DDR4 CL16 (F4-3600C16-16GTZNC)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 (MSI Suprim X)
Storage 1 x 960GB SX8200, 1 x 1TB SX8200, 1 x 2TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) LG 34GP950G, 2x DELL S2721D, LG 48" C2 OLED (OLED48C2PUA)
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping E30 + Drop O2 Amplifer + Sennheiser HD 600 / HIFIMAN HE4XX / Grado SR80e / Corsair Void RGB
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Razer Naga Pro wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2 full size
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 10 Professional
They have. At least keep up with the times if you are going to attempt to troll.

Seems to me the bigger issue with Gsync is that the controller only has a DP input. No HDMI 2.0 or any other connection. Interesting nobody cares about that though. I'll wager there are more people who would like to attach their HDMI device to their monitor than need 4K @ 60Hz through their TV set.

Oh, they have? Since when? Certainly not in the 2 weeks since I last used a freesync monitor. FreeSync is INFERIOR, period. There's no getting around it; the adaptive sync range is smaller than comparable G-Sync monitors, meaning G-Sync provides more time "in the zone", and also has additional hardware to help with ghosting and ensuring display remains in the adaptive sync range at all times.

Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm a troll.

Again I will tell you; G-Sync is SUPERIOR in my personal experience with both technologies. Superior enough that I have purchased another G-Sync monitor and GTX980 for my wife's PC despite the additional cost. I wouldn't have done that if I could get the same experience for hundreds less.

Both variable refresh technologies require displayport connections... moreover, why would you be connecting non-variable refresh capable devices to a variable refresh display? Why did you spend the additional money on a variable refresh display if you don't intend to use it? Your supposed issue is a strawman.

Last edited:
Yeah... they're using colorIQ backlight from Nanosys, I think. It can produce over 90% of the rec 2020 color space, the largest color space identified. That's impressive. backlight is more uniform too compared to white LED backlighting, which is horrible and bleeds through light colors.
The SUHD TV from Samsung I saw the other looked amazing. It was selling for $1600, which isn't much for a 4K 52" TV TBH.
Yeah i never got a LED backlit tv because the moved the backlighting to the edges of the panel to make them thinner and the light never diffused correctly and was way too strong around the sides and white is really hard to make in LEDs so it never really ever looked great to me. I might get one of those though don't really need a new TV but my old one is quite old just wondering when the right time would be to jump into 4k tv's, monitors are a bit harder.

Oh, they have? Since when? Certainly not in the 2 weeks since I last used a freesync monitor. FreeSync is INFERIOR, period. There's no getting around it; the adaptive sync range is smaller than comparable G-Sync monitors, meaning G-Sync provides more time "in the zone", and also has additional hardware to help with ghosting and ensuring display remains in the adaptive sync range at all times.

Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean I'm a troll.

Again I will tell you; G-Sync is SUPERIOR in my personal experience with both technologies. Superior enough that I have purchased another G-Sync monitor and GTX980 for my wife's PC despite the additional cost. I wouldn't have done that if I could get the same experience for hundreds less.

Both variable refresh technologies require displayport connections... moreover, why would you be connecting non-variable refresh capable devices to a variable refresh display? Why did you spend the additional money on a variable refresh display if you don't intend to use it? Your supposed issue is a strawman.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm
Update 1/6/15

BenQ have confirmed that the FreeSync/AMA issue has now been fixed. A driver update from AMD is already available and should be downloaded from their website. In addition BenQ will be releasing a firmware update for the monitor itself to fix this issue. Current stocks in distribution are being recalled and updated with retailers so future purchases should already carry this new firmware. This is expected to apply for stock purchased AFTER 1st July, as V002 firmware screens should be shipped by BenQ to distributors in late June.

For those who already have an XL2730Z if you want to, you can return it to BenQ for them to carry out the firmware update for you. This only applies if the user is experiencing issues with the performance of the screen. There is no simple way for the end user to update the firmware themselves and it is not encouraged. Users should contact BenQ support through their relevant country website for more information on how to return their screen for the update.

This only applies in Europe and we do not have any information about how this update will be handled in other countries unfortunately. We would suggest contacting BenQ support for additional help if you need more information, now that a V002 firmware is in circulation. You should be able to identify the firmware version you have by accessing the factory OSD menu (hold menu button while powering the screen on, then press menu). The Firmware version (F/W) should start with V001 or V002 and then a date. You are looking for V002 for the updated firmware.

It has nothing to do with me liking your opinion or not. It's the way you project your opinion as fact and how you misrepresent the true facts. You can buy whatever you want to for yourself and even recommend stuff as long as you aren't slandering the product you don't personally prefer.

As far as why people pay more for the same or similar tech and performance from nVidia, like yourself? Don't know. It makes no sense to me.

As far as my strawman, there are people who hook other components to their PC monitors. That's why they often offer more than one input of a certain type, like multiple DP, for example. Unfortunately the Gsync module only offers a single DP input.

Some Freesync monitors even have HDMI 2.0 which AMD cards don't even support, but nVidia does. From all of the negative feedback from nVidia supporters about AMD cards not supporting it, it must be an important feature for nVidia users. Since no Gsync monitors have HDMI 2.0, seems like these nVidia users clamoring for HDMI 2.0 might like these monitors.

BTW, that last paragraph was a strawman, since in reality HDMI 2.0 derves no useful purpose. ;)

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Quick question, can Nvidia cards use freesync also, cause I may be getting 980 ti.

Quick question, can Nvidia cards use freesync also, cause I may be getting 980 ti.
No. Adaptive sync (The monitor tech required for Freesync to work) is an open standard but nVidia has chosen not to support it and instead promotes their own proprietary solution, Gsync.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
OK, so they could, but are to stubborn. If it was me I would support both that easy people don't have to pick specific monitor's.

System Name Raistlin
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S with dual fans
Memory 32GB G.Skill 3600MHz DDR4 CL16 (F4-3600C16-16GTZNC)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 (MSI Suprim X)
Storage 1 x 960GB SX8200, 1 x 1TB SX8200, 1 x 2TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) LG 34GP950G, 2x DELL S2721D, LG 48" C2 OLED (OLED48C2PUA)
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping E30 + Drop O2 Amplifer + Sennheiser HD 600 / HIFIMAN HE4XX / Grado SR80e / Corsair Void RGB
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Razer Naga Pro wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2 full size
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 10 Professional
It has nothing to do with me liking your opinion or not. It's the way you project your opinion as fact and how you misrepresent the true facts. You can buy whatever you want to for yourself and even recommend stuff as long as you aren't slandering the product you don't personally prefer.

As far as why people pay more for the same or similar tech and performance from nVidia, like yourself? Don't know. It makes no sense to me.

As far as my strawman, there are people who hook other components to their PC monitors. That's why they often offer more than one input of a certain type, like multiple DP, for example. Unfortunately the Gsync module only offers a single DP input.

Some Freesync monitors even have HDMI 2.0 which AMD cards don't even support, but nVidia does. From all of the negative feedback from nVidia supporters about AMD cards not supporting it, it must be an important feature for nVidia users. Since no Gsync monitors have HDMI 2.0, seems like these nVidia users clamoring for HDMI 2.0 might like these monitors.

BTW, that last paragraph was a strawman, since in reality HDMI 2.0 derves no useful purpose. ;)

Oh man, you're hilarious. Quoting tech sites with no stated personal experience. :p (I'm not flaming you, I just find it funny. I cite personal experience, you quote some webpage)

If the target use case is more variable refresh INcapable devices than variable refresh capable why not save yourself the hassle and get a non-variable refresh capable display. Again, if you require additional inputs you get something that supports your usage case. Anything else is making up excuses to dislike a product that has zero effect on you. If you can only afford one display you get one that fits all your needs.

Also, if you want to talk about "X has been changed so get with the times" then you need to read up on some of the new G-Sync displays that will be coming out with more inputs or you're simply accusing me of the same bias you're showing. http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/Report-Acer-XR341CKA-219-G-SYNC-Monitor-Has-Multiple-Inputs

The moment the FreeSync displays in my office are updated with new firmware and I see a difference in the observed performance I will gladly change my tune. My employer almost exclusively uses AMD graphics in their PCs, including the FirePro W7100 card in my workstation... sadly it doesn't support FreeSync (UPDATE: YES IT DOES! YAY), so I don't have the monitor on my desk. Yet. We're all making the move to either 3440x1440 or 4k displays soon, so hopefully I can request a FreeSync display for my workstation. Using it daily for my simulations would be awesome. I hate tearing almost as much as I hate ghosting.

I would love to see you come back and comment when you've used both personally, as I have. Until then you're just regurgitating someone else's nonsense about something you haven't experienced for yourself.

EDIT: And yes, I 100% agree HDMI2.0 is a strawman. Right now it doesn't really matter since it's so new, beyond a decidedly small percentage of enthusiasts that have made the jump to 4k televisions. In a year or two it will matter a lot more.

Last edited: