• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung releases 32GB solid state hard drive

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Samsung has taken the wraps off the first consumer 32GB solid state hard drive. It has the usual 1.8" form factor, and is meant to replace traditional drives in notebooks. The drive can read data at 57 MB/s and write it at 32 MB/s, which would make it twice as fast as traditional hard drives. It is not only light weight (15g), but is noiseless, and it uses around 5% of the power compared to a normal drive. There seem to be no draw backs, but I am sure the drive won't be cheap, still perfect for UMPCs from intel if you ask me.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
No one cares about this? This is the biggest evolution in computers since graphics cards guys! If this gets going, SSD's will end up eliminating the need for system RAM, which will DRASTICALLY improve performance since that's one less component taking up bandwidth and time, and that makes a direct route from data-to-processor, plus since it's not mechanical it can just keep getting faster and faster and faster (you know, platters can only spin so fast stably, but RAM/ROM has no limits) over years. Also the form factor thing, I mean that's about a 20% decrease in needed laptop space if there is no RAM and the drive is ultra-small (think about the Ipod nano, SSD's will probably get there pretty fast).

Tory

Processor Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard Biostar TForce 6100
Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Memory 2GB G.skill DDR400
Video Card(s) 8800GTS
Storage 500GB Raid 0
Display(s) Sceptre 20.1inch wide 8ms
Case Ultra Aluminus
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 value
Power Supply Seasonic 430w
AMDCam said:
No one cares about this? This is the biggest evolution in computers since graphics cards guys! If this gets going, SSD's will end up eliminating the need for system RAM, which will DRASTICALLY improve performance since that's one less component taking up bandwidth and time, and that makes a direct route from data-to-processor, plus since it's not mechanical it can just keep getting faster and faster and faster (you know, platters can only spin so fast stably, but RAM/ROM has no limits) over years. Also the form factor thing, I mean that's about a 20% decrease in needed laptop space if there is no RAM and the drive is ultra-small (think about the Ipod nano, SSD's will probably get there pretty fast).
I would have posted earlier but I think the price scared most of us off. In the past these things have been darned expensive. Also I have to disagree about this eliminating the need for system ram. This thing has a read/write of 57/32MB respectively and I don't know about you but my current ram scores around 3000/1600MB respectively. I doubt this will ever be nearly fast enough to replace system ram.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
No way man, I wasn't talking about NOW. I know this Samsung drive is ultra-primitive (compared to what it could be in the future), but I was saying if the technology GETS GOING that will happen. I doubt that 2 years down the road we're gonna still be anywhere near the 57mb/s mark, we'll probably be closer to DDR transfer rates.

Plus, if they are a lot more expensive than old drives, think about it, if you don't have to buy $200-400 RAM every few months to keep up with the ever-growing amount of space applications are taking up, then you can put that towards your hard drive.