1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandisk CEO: ''Windows Vista not Optimized for SSDs''

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I wish. Vista SP1 is on my buddies PC and I can see myself aging when waiting to copy over anything or deleting a folder with a few files when it takes about 15 secs. I haven't seen one install yet that it's been fixed on.

That's on a pretty fast system and fully defragged with O&O.

That's kinda why I said "consider yourself lucky" earlier lol. It might work for you, but I can find a million more where shit still doesn't work haha.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well i only ever saw that bug on one vista install of mine, and i havent seen it on any of my 3 vista rigs since SP1.

i'd say he has a setup or config problem messing with it... oh and i dont like O&O, its buggy.

3. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    2nd install and it was with sp1 integrated. I've encountered lots of vista laptops and everything is still RTM from my experience. O&O works great for me :) I use it on everything.
    See, we're getting into the retardation of windows (what works fine on one doesn't on another).

4. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista would kill a ssd in 12 month flat haha, I dont think blaming Vista is the right term.

SSD drives only have a very limmited Read and write life roughly 1million writes on a given sector before it dies, I dont know how many a standard harddrive can take but I can be fairly confident its more than 20 times that, the tech is 2 immature and shouldnt be released for desktops untill it has matured more, for laptops I think its good ,but not for your everyday gaming rig.

I personally think they wont be feasable for at ;least another 24 months.

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if you read the news here more often, samsung have already developed drives with more read times than a mechanical drive. the tech is maturing fast.

6. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sorry for not trolling

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    wait, what?

i was just pointing out that SSD's dont have a limited life as many think, thats one of the first things they've been fixing as newer models come out.

8. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking about the progress bar on the top of the explorer window that essentially archives what's on the drive? I use a 750 GB external over USB on my laptop, and I'm not sure what you're talking about. It seems a lot more responsive and faster on Vista than it does on XP to be honest.

As far as the forever long copying, I only experienced that once or twice, but that was last year. They've gone through a lot of fixes, so you might want to give it another shot.

9. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    No, I disable its retarded indexing, it's useless. External HDDs don't have the issue, it pretty much only occurs on flash using ntfs. It's whack.