1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandy Bridge - Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Jan 3, 2011.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  2. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
  3. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to ask how is sandy bridge the biggest disappointment of the year when only the mid range parts have been released?

DriedFrogPills says thanks.
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
  5. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    While sure it can do that.... That is all it can do too! My 860 Can clock fairly high and compete with these chips. And I have full control over every little bit of it too.

Intel has done a few things here is appears.

1st. It looks like they made some chips that run very cool and can clock very high.

2nd. They also seem to have made Overclocking something a Dummy can do now!

3rd. They also seem to have castrated the shit out of overclocking too! With putting so many restrictions on it.

I am going to wait a little while longer to see how things develop to make up my full mind. I asked a question earlier today asking if I should upgrade to a SB CPU. After reading the last article in the last post on this thread. I am not impressed! While there are pro's to Sandy Bridges.... There are allot more Cons then Pros right now.

If things start developing a different way I might change my tune.... But as it stands today.... the 5% to 10% increase I would get with these when overclocked is not worth the money. I am waiting for Bulldoze FX or Ivy Bridge to release.

I don't think it's a disappointment.... I just think it's no big deal right now.

6. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I agree.

They're using a pretty limited system overall, where you really have to buy a K series to do any kind of overclocking as all other chips can barely push past it's 100MHz BCLK and be stable so everything has to essentially be done with the multi, and if your multi is locked, well it's a sad day for you. The up side is of course that it's easy as hell to overclock on these chips, you can get above 4GHz in no time.

They also put in a system where it downclocks itself and decreases performance if it hits temps below -20c and that high end coolers will actually perform worse then retail stock cooling at times due to performance scaling:(, so that's going to be tough to extreme cooling.

I still think they're great for the money though, especially for me being a not so crazy overclocker.:)

7. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what that means for water cooling and the like? Does that mean we're screwed too?

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Isn't it odd how the latest generations of CPUs and GPUs over the last year or so have been so underwhelming? I can only put it down to two main factors:

- Lack of competition from the other side. Both companies need to have products at the same performance level to go head to head on price and start a price war. This will also spur innovation to outdo each other with better hardware.

- Engineering brick walls. Mainly in the form of power consumption and the amount of heat generated. This problem actually started years ago when the clock speed could not realistically be ramped higher to the same degree as before. Sure, it's still going up a bit each generation with overclocking, but the stock speeds aren't going up. We can now get 5+ Ghz out of Sandy Bridge on a K-series overclock. Not really that impressive when you think how long it's taken to get to 5GHz - and it's not a stock speed either. We had 3.8GHz rated Pentium 4's in 2003 remember. A measly 1 point something gigahertz extra overclocked is nothing to shout about. Yes, I know about the instructions per clock going up to compensate and extra cores, but that's not the point. We are still stuck when it comes to the most important raw performance enhancement.

I think this trend in diminishing returns is unfortunately going to continue, unless radical new technology is developed such as optical chips, perhaps.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Nicely explained I agree! I read something a little disconcerting the other day. It was an article by Fudzilla exclaiming that we have reached a point in time (They theorize) That the time has come were all enthusiast products must be water cooled or exotic cooled.

While I don't exactly agree we are there yet... I can see there point were if stuff doesn't change soon... That is were we will have to be.

qubit says thanks.
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks 20mm, the power brick wall is looming large indeed.

Oh and you might wish to requote me, because I added a bit. ;)

11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    its semiaccurate, you should expect to get semi accurate information from them. Similar to Fudzilla i always thought their articles were written by kiddies

12. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    Take that to the nuts Intel.. Epic Fail :nutkick:

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    okay fanboy or troll.

Dont get to excited now. They have only released the mid end parts, and even if we can't overclock to much the performance at stock is pretty nice.

I wonder want X68(LGA2011 or whatever the number was) has in store for us though.

EDIT: however i dont feel im going to need to upgrade my i7 920 for the next 2+ years

14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Take what to the nuts?

They put out some great chips, both the 2500K and 2600K are great performers and can push actually near almost 980x numbers in some cases and pushes around regular i7 numbers for a LOT less cash. I can only imagine what the higher end LGA 2011 chips will offer.:rockout:

Only real issues so far with Sandy is the overclocking standard has changed with this series and imo they have heavily locked out the enthusiasts with the system they decided to go with on these chips.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  15. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I've never been a fan of Intel, but this whole article is crap.

I still get the need to go over to the local sandbox, make a bridge and run through it with my toy bulldozer, though:laugh:

segalaw19800 and Jstn7477 say thanks.
  16. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    read article then.....

[​IMG]

17. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    ^^ Thats only on the 400$ CPU, yes i7 2600k retails at 400$...

I think we could already hit about 4.4GHz on the 300$ Core i7 950

And the COre i7 2500k is 300$ retail, but the BIGGEST BUMMER, no Hyperthreading

18. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    fixed :cool:

19. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Fixed that for ya.

And yes you can hit 4.4GHz on i7 950 but it consumes a lot of power to do so and you need to have very decent cooling. You can do 4.4 on stock heatsink with the new i7 2600k. Not to mention clock for clock it's still faster.

In this thread there appears to be a few people who only read what they want to read from a review.

(FIH) The Don says thanks.
  20. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    this ^^^^^spot on

21. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    Only time can tell .. :respect:

22. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Indeed you need to save your tears for bulldozer.

segalaw19800 says thanks.
  23. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  24. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    As some have pointed out ... these are just midrange chips ... and they perform really well ... consumes less power ... plus the thermal levels are amazing .... lets wait and see what intel has offer in the months to come ...

And in many reviews I have seen reviewers overclock these chips past 4.5Ghz very easily (with stock cooler) ... If one uses a decent aftermarket cooler I'm pretty sure they'd be able to go past at least 4.8) ... so basically the overclocking is easy and grt ... I guess the only people who'll be disappointed would be the enthusiast overclockers ...

Plus the sandy bridge mobile chips are just awesome ... check this -->http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1506/1/

KieX and CDdude55 say thanks.
  25. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I dont give a rats ass about how they overclock or overclocking performance, its all about stock clock performance for me. So if there not much better then the current I7's at stock clocks then meh, its good realy Because AMD then might be able to catch up and give us all cheaper i7's to buy? No? or CPU's in general.