1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandy Bridge Heatsinks. (Noise rating top priority)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Hotobu, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I'm running the newest version. Just downloaded it 3 days ago to help me test my ram overclock. Topped out at 59c. Though come to think of it, it was only at 4.4ghz while testing ram and that was at 1.28v. Still, even 72 with IBT justifies a solid cooler. Now you could argue that a step down from the best of the coolers would be ok, but you certainly don't want to slum it if you are planning on any significant benching, or get the itch to push to 5.0. Now for those who insist on a full custom loop for SB, now that is overkill.

Edit: Just ram prime at for about 20 minutes on 4.5, and topped out at 63c, still lower than what I'd get with IBT over the same amount of time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the suggestions. I didn't ignore any. I actually looked up videos, specs, prices, and reviews on everything listed here that had any documentation. Due to pricing and what I can get I decided to go with the Thermalright Archon. I did like the Venomous X + 2 fan solution, but due to me having to get the heatsink from a place that didn't have free shipping the VX + one fan will actually cost me the same as the Archon. Also since it's a 140 low RPM I have to believe that that'll be less noise than 2 120s and I can always add on another fan later if I need more cooling (which I kinda doubt).

Thanks again.

Paulieg and cadaveca say thanks.
  3. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    That's a good solution if you don't mind using just one fan. The only reason I didn't suggest it was because of the cost of adding a second matching fan, which is $20+. Overall, you made a decision the best way, through suggestions and your own research.

4. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    If you have not purchased your case yet, may I recommend one of the following. They're a bit unorthodox, but look up some of their reviews and see how good of a job they do with cooling and how quiet they are at the same time. They are deeper (HxWxD) than other cases, so make sure you understand that.

Link

If noise levels are a concern to you, you may want to spend some time over at http://www.silentpcreview.com/

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    FYI, paulie, it takes near 10 hours of prime for a proper test. it WILL get as hot as IBT does...you just didn't wait long enough. Patience is a virtue...:laugh:

At this point, IBT is good for nothing but temp testing..stability wise, it's not very accurate.

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I dont trust you hotobu so I will not say a good cooler and recommend you OC to 5Ghz on the stock cooler with cheese as thermal paste. LOL

H100 if you want a nice "self contained" water loop

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know that a "proper' p95 test takes hours, which is why I don't use it anymore. I did use it for years, religiously. However, I found that once I was able to pass a 25x pass of LinX and an hour of OCCT that I was stable as far as I was concerned, meaning that I had no BSODS from gaming or anything else, could crunch 24/7 without any errors in work, nor would I experience any kind of slow or odd system behavior. To me, this is real world stable, and I'm not sure anything else matters.

cadaveca says thanks.
  8. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    i think the newest xigmatek (aegir) cooler should do fine,
    you can change the fan to gentle typhoons in push pull

9. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overpriced cases that the op doesn't need. Antec 900 is 99.99 and cools better

10. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    Xigmatek S1284 is plenty good also,
    i currently running those on 3.5GHz E7400 @ 1.35V passive
    never reach 55C even on full load on 24C ambient
    its cheap too

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, IBT can work for some people, but I am not sure it supports AVX yet. Maybe most recent version does.

Anyway, it proves not stable for me, by IBT alone. I use it for quick heat generation, and prime overnight, and neither Dirt3 or BFBC2 are stable 100% when IBT is.

Dunno why the funkyness. For 1366, 1156, I use IBT exclusively.