1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 4890 vapor-x DOA???

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by warlock, Jul 19, 2009.

1. warlock Guest

After installing card, my system will not recognize that the card is installed. Removed new 4890 reinstalled 3870 that been in my system for a while everything works normal. Installed new 4890 a 2nd time and used an old pci card so I could see if system was working properly. Checked BIOS PCIx is still set as primary card, skips the new 4890 and loads old pci card. Once Vista starts I go to Device manager, vista only see's standard VGA adapter. The new card is powered and fan is on. Any suggestions or just rma the thing?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I guess you plugged in the power leads ? Wow , bad luck !
  3. joshiers8605 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it says that in device manager, have you installed the latest drivers?
  4. warlock Guest

Yeah installed drivers and both six pin power, My PSU is an apevia 680w and I tried both plugs by themselves on my 3870 all OK!
  5. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Any lights on the card lighting up?
  6. joshiers8605 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not sounding good as far as the DOA goes then :(, but it does show upside device manager, do you have another computer to test it on?, maybe on different OS as well?
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Also did you clean with a driver cleaner before you installed the new card?? Always clean drivers from registry before installing new ones or you will run into trouble everytime guaranteed especially with ati.

EDIT: Dont assume the worst yet.
  8. joshiers8605 New Member

Thanks Received:
    amen
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    if the card was DOA it wouldn't allow the machine to boot, btw you make sure you have external PCI Express Power Hooked up to the card?
    Re-seat the card as well.

Also when it comes down to if the card needs a RMA, Sapphire is pretty quick on doing so when you provide info and the request.
  10. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
  11. warlock Guest

Just tried driver sweeper and reinstalling drivers , Even catalyst install Can't see the card, say's no devices available on my system!
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Since you are running windows Vista, may i suggest you try to do the manual install thru device manager since it seems the driver program is not detecting the board properly, also did you make sure to get the drivers specific to your setup, whether its vista 64 or 32. TBH i think the cat Vista setup is a PITA.
  13. warlock Guest

"IT LIVES" thanks everyone for not letting me give up so easy. I do believe it was the drivers, I followed Graigelberry's link on how to reinstall drivers. The one item I hadn't removed was Rivatuner, I suspect this because before when I started up the fan was cranked. Now it's only about 40% that speed! On to testing!!
  14. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I am glad you got it going warlock. I have had them issues before I learnt that I had to remove drivers properly.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Driver Sweeper and Drivercleaner Pro are the best bets for removing a mass load of Driver related code, course when you go to reinstall, make sure your not plugged into the net as MS will try to download drivers for you (XP is known to phone home, im sure it applies to anything later aswell)