1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 6670 2GB DDR3 Bad flash by prev owner

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mdhoover, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mdhoover New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Wonder if anyone can help? I bought a card cheap on ebay where it was as new but apparently the owner attempted to flash the bios and messed it up, but the reseller wasnt entirely sure. So I thought Id take a punt on it.

Installed the card in my computer and the colours were off, blacks were blue, certain colours were pink etc all the hue's basically were off colour. Even in the mobo BIOS and windows loading screens. So I downloaded the drivers for the card from Sapphires website but that just caused the card to crash before Windows would fully load.

I have found on this website the BIOS for the card but have no idea what to do next. Does this sound like something a BIOS flash would fix?

Its a Sapphire HD 6670 DDR 2GB card

Im happy to provide any info needed, and really appreciate any help

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU

Download and run GPU-Z; take a screen shot and upload it
    Example
    GPU-Z ScreenShot.jpg

Confirm exact model Sapphire HD 6670 DDR 2GB & Here
    [there appears to be only one 2Gb version of the Sapphire 6670 so chances maybe better than 60/40 of recovery *if the PCB has not taken any damage]

"Does this sound like something a BIOS flash would fix?"
    [Note: Maybe, either way at this time the card is not functioning as intended,Yes]

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    mdhoover says thanks.
  3. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    sounds like the card is toast to me unless by chance the previous owner messed with ram timings in the vbios

mdhoover says thanks.
  4. mdhoover New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem with the computer crashing seems to be a driver issue, if its running off of Windows 7 standard VGA adapter drivers I can get into Windows, as soon as I install the latest drivers for the card it fails to get beyond the Windows loading splash screen. The is no onboard graphics card so there is definitely output from the card itself. 20140618_224006.jpg

The BSOD I get after driver install is based around atikmpag.sys

The computer I am putting together from scratch, the PSU is 250w which I realise I need to replace and shall do so - could this be the source of the problem?

Many thanks for your help

5. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Note: If the vga card dose not load video when catalyst driver is installed, there is an issue with the vga card

When testing the vga card *use:
    [*minimal hardware setup]: PSU, Motherboard, CPU & Heatsink, single stick of memory and vga card [plug-in keyboard and mouse - boot to bios]

system specs; brand names and models please
    PSU
    motherboard [include bios version]
    CPU
    RAM

(Recommended total system power with vga card and all other components is 400w)
    Source- here
    Note: vga card is powered from PCIe slot only so has limited power draw *Edit: [example: PCIe x16 *150w ] source - here

TDP for HD 6670 is approx 66w

[however; not convinced it is worth trouble shooting at this time; if not all correct components have been assembled or are able to test vga card in another system]

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    mdhoover says thanks.
  6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    its a ddr3 card I would't waste further time with it send it back or throw it in the trashbin