1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 9800 Pro to XT BIOS?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by AMDCam, May 26, 2005.

1. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I have an Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (Atlantis) with 256mb Hynix RAM, and an R360 core. Other people have flashed this card to XT, there is even a website that clarified my exact card as fully compatible with the XT BIOS, even with Overdrive and hardware monitoring. So I know I can do it. But does anyone, ANYONE, know a good XT BIOS for my card because I've tried 2 and the same thing happens, it "runs" after the Flash, but I'm not sure if I should exit the floppy or the program (FlashROM) before I manually restart (ctrl+alt+delete), because every time I restart the entire screen goes crazy and I can just tell what should be there because I've seen the startup screen so many times. If you know what I should do or if my BIOS's work or something else please tell me.
  2. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's looking like I might have corrupted my original 9800 Pro BIOS, because I was "backing up" instead of restoring for a couple seconds when one of the XT flashes didn't work, but I ejected the floppy then restored the BIOS. I'm using it right now and it seems to be fine, but now when I play games they die for no reason. So now XT is almost a necessity, and I don't want to go through the trouble of finding my original BIOS and restoring it.
  3. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    why just oc the card? or write your original bios to an xt bios?
  4. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    This website has a very large collection of ATI bios'. Maybe you could find your original bios there.
    ATI bios collection
  5. MDboyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any other advantages for flashing 9800Pro to XT besides setting the core/mem to the XT spec?
  6. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well there is Overdrive and hardware monitoring, and supposedly with some software, you can activate the overdrive and hardware monitoring so it's an official 9800XT. Not only that but I assumed that the BIOS was somehow more efficient at handling graphics than Pro. Also, maybe the biggest part, is the fact that everything recognizes it as a 9800XT, so some games will assume you've got more power and up the settings (I just think it's cool when new games tell you you've got good enough hardware) and you save $100 while you can still tell everyone you've got an XT, since there's no difference other than the heatsink (which I'm buying a new one).
  7. watzup_ken New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you should get a better heatsink for your card first before attempting to do that again. 9800s are really hot during operations and the extra mems merely adds to the heat. There is no doubt that flashing it to an XT will reap you better performance, but in terms of games, the difference isn't very obvious. :)
  8. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Watzup ken, these cards don't seem too hot, stock I've overclocked from 378/324 to 421/391. I hear people can overclock up to 468/460 with a good cooler and that would be AWESOME. that's about 1.25x more power to the core and 1.4x to the memory. I'm not using a calculator so you don't have to correct me on this one. And 920 to the memory is GDDR3 speeds, AWESOME. I think I can overclock it so well stock because I have 8 case fans, and one is 120mm, and 2 80mm's are mounted where the graphics card is.
  9. MDboyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much guys...
    Yeah.. I already have the Artic Cooler on it. It've been running at 430/365 stable for almost 3 months now. I think I will flash it to XT tonite.
    Last edited: May 30, 2005