1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Announces Two AGP Video Cards

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Oct 7, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire today announced two new AGP-based graphics cards, the Radeon X1650 Pro and X1300XT. These new cards are similar to the Radeon X1600 Pro and X1600XT PCI Express versions. Sapphire’s Radeon X1650 Pro AGP features 12 pixel shaders and a core clock of 590 MHz. It is equipped with 256MB of GDDR3 video memory clocked at 690 MHz, connected via 128-bit memory bus. The card has dual-link DVI and TV-out. The Radeon X1300XT arrives in two flavors equipped with 256MB of GDDR3 or 512MB of DDR2 video memory. Models equipped with 256MB are clocked at 500 MHz while 512MB models are clocked at 400 MHz. As with the Radeon X1650 Pro AGP, the X1300XT AGP has 12 pixel shaders as well. However, the Radeon X1300XT AGP has a lower core clock of 500 MHz. Availability and pricing is unknown at the moment, but the Radeon X1650 Pro AGP should cost around $150 while the Radeon X1300XT AGP should deserve the $100 price tag.

Source: DailyTech

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should really just let AGP die soon, I've bought my last AGP card I'm afaid :(

3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow they realeased x1600xt and x1600pro on agp! im so amazed!!![/sarcasm]

4. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    For those who still have AGP mobos, its time too move on

5. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm yeah... so why are those PCI express cards in the picture :p

6. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh I don't know what to say....Sapphire maybe :D just look at this beauty: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=162&grp=2

- CrossFire™ Support

Give me some AGP Master Crossfire cards, dual AGP motherboard and it's time for action...:respect:

P.S. 10x for the note, I'll remove the images

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    lol agp still works just leave it alone its hard enough to find agp cards at all now so its on its way to death

8. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Some ppl still can't migrate to a PCIe enabled system, and AGP users (like myself) still have a great deal of marketshare, so that's why you keep seeing manufacturers release mainstream AGP cards.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Helmi

Helmi New Member

Thanks Received:
    You find me a PCIe mobo I can fit all the rest of my hardware on and it's a deal.
    As long as that's not an option, I am happy for every AGP card stil beaing released.

The mobo is the central hardware of your system, you don't just upgrade that on-the-fly and just because...

If I were to build a totally new system, obviouisly PCIe is the way to go, no doubts about that.

10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I fail to see the point in these cards period....

11. Helmi

Helmi New Member

Thanks Received:
    So just because you can't see any use in them there shouldn't be AGP cards anymore?

Wow, I'm impressed.

12. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I ask those of you who are down on AGP - presumably you have thrown away your CRT TVs now that LCD and Plasma HD-TVs are the latest technology?

its VERY easy to say "omg, just upgrade already" etc. I would LOVE a new PC with a Core 2 Duo and a X1950XTX. And next year, I'll probably get one. But at this moment in time, my PC can totally handle what I throw at it.

These cards really arent aimed at the enthusiast community, they are aimed at the guy who buys a new PC every 5-7 years and needs somethnign to keep it going until he buys new again, probably from PC World or Dell.

I had an HP PC before this one - 1.3Ghz Celeron, 512MB Ram, 40GB HD and a MX-440. I sold it to a guy for £100, and it replaced something like a PII system he had inherited. I dont know what he uses it for, but if he slotted in one of these cards, that PC would be transformed. Still old and crap by modern standards but good enough for its purpose

13. roosterx New Member

Thanks Received:
    The agp bus is quite capabel of transferring data to the kind of gfx cards that exist's today - ok i'll agree i'm not a 100% shure about x1950xt solutions and the like - but still - i believe the gfx makers of today makes a big mistake in not making a gfx card that we(the agp users) deserve - i mean my systems - both HTPC and my main pc is quite up to date - and quite frankly todays pci-e based mobo's equipped with the latest CPU's is not much faster than my systems - so why should i upgrade to something that would not give me a performance boost? (except the gfx department - and thats really! annoying)

14. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    to be fair, there are 7800GS and 7800GS+ cards on AGP - the GS+ uses the same G71 core as the 7900. Certainly they dont have the bandwidth of PCI-E and they are relatively expensive but they do exist and that alone has helped drive down prices of the previous gen of AGP cards (X850/6800) which had been holdign steady amidst no competition, but strong consumer demand

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Its an easy explanation. The Mid-Range Market is the bread and butter of GFX Manufacturers and to add another "High Performance" mid-range card to the market is just business, the fact that its AGP does serve a purpose in some respects as a use of an X800 or X850 may have a "more powerful" card on paper they dont have SM3.0 support or the decoding benefits of AViVo.

16. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    A dual AGp slot mobo would of been nice to seen..AGP, aint dead yet since they keep on bring new cards out

Gainward BLISS 7800GS AGP 512MB GOLDEN SAMPLE PLUS this seems to be a new Version

17. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone that sees no point to AGP has much more money than brains. There are almost no games that can even fill up the AGP 8X bandwidth nevermind the uselessness of 16X on PCI-E. Once again, too many people rely on synthetic benchmarks to determine how well their PC performs. Why does everyone need to upgrade to PCI-E when they have a perfectly good AGP based system and they just want more graphics firepower. Too bad that instead of giving mindless opinions like "agp is dead, it makes no sense" why don't you come up with valid reasons adnd give something to support it other than your worthless opinions. Far too many worthless opinions around here, that's for sure.

18. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AGP may be fast enough but at the end of the day, PCI-E is faster and costs no more, often less. Therefore it is more practical to get ready for the future and have one major format again -> PCI-E.

19. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to buying/building a new system, I dont think anyone would disagree with that Jimmy.

Its the "YOU MUST HAVE PCI-E NOW!!!" attitudes thats been bugging, as if AGP is some hopeless and ancient relic that has to be vanquished as soon as possible, and hang the cost of new mobo and RAm etc. As you say yourself, its fast enough and people will upgrade in their own time as THEIR requirements warrant it.

I know there are many who use this forum who are in IT, and its sort of a side effect of belonging to that industry that you need to be seen to have the latest technology, if only so you can speak about it from first hand experience, but we dont all live on the bleeding edge

20. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO, to put it simply, there is nothing wrong with AGP itself just it has a smaller range of noticably more expensive cards made for it now.

21. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, if you build/buy a new system then it only makes sense to go PCI-E. But the people that chime in with "AGP is dead, I don't understand why AGP is around anymore" and that is all they offer just makes me wonder why they even bother to answer at all. At least you (jimmy 2004) and a few others took the time to write a logical and postive point as to why you don't like AGP. But people like ketxxx that just post something so idiotic as he did insenses me. For someone that is a supposed to represent a major company, you'd think he'd use some sort of intelligence in his answers.