1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire ATI 9600 PRO

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dacruz, Dec 25, 2004.

1. dacruz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I have been reading around the forums and trying to find more info on the Sapphire ATI 9600 PRO. I am new to this overclocking business. I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of info on the site and have no idea where to begin. First in the agenda is the fact that I have a Sapphire ATI 9600 PRO. Its pretty good as it is but when it come to games like Joint Ops I get very low fps in close battles. And thats with all settings with the lowest options on. Perhaps overclocking can help to increase the fps a bit then having to buy a new card, forking 400-500$ :eek: can do some damage on the wallet. I downloaded the latest drivers and ATITOOL 0.0.22 but since I have a 9600 it asked me to download Softmodded Catalyst Package, which I have but hesitant to install. To add to the confusion I read the article titled ATI BIOS Collection which just made everything that more confusing. :(

1. Is it even wise trying to overclock the Sapphire ATI 9600 PRO for games?
    2. If so, where exactly do I begin? (steps?)

PC SPECS:

Asus A7N8X DELUXE
    AMD 2600
    1 Gig of ram
    Sapphire ATI 9600 PRO

Thank You. :) and Merry X-mas! ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  2. GoLLuM4444 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking is fine when simply done with ATiTool, it's hardmodding and bios flashing that are more risky things to improve performance. To overclock juse use ATiTool to find you max memory and core frequencies. There are various guides and forum posts about using ATiTool to overclock all over the site and it's fairly self-explanatory. Hope you get some good results.

3. The Rage New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have an ATI radeon 9600 pro, my specs are at the bottom i can get the core up to 510, which i find amazing cuz thats 10mhz higher then default XT speed :rolleyes:

4. GoLLuM4444 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good job. :D

5. GrAm New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi & happy new year! :)
    i'm a n00b, so be patient plz .... :p
    i have the same pc configuration of dacruz. But with Atitool i can get only 445 of maximum coreclock before a hour of work...but im a n00b. So, i was searching for a better bios first, if this exists; my originally bios is this. So i hope i have a samsung 2.8 memory. I really can't understand which is the right (and better) bios for my card, i tried 2 of the latest (2.8 and non) but they didnt work well. Can u help me plz? thank You

ah another question. I read that some 9600 cards didnt work well with fastwrite OFF and that its better to turn it on, but the omega driver recommends to disabled it, any suggestion/experience?
    thank you again

6. GrAm New Member

Thanks Received:
    which bios version do u have?

7. The Rage New Member

Thanks Received:
    default bios, i havnt flashed it..so w/e that is

8. GrAm New Member

Thanks Received:
    understood. thank u for the risp. but, can u tell me plz exactely what bios version, u can read it in your advanced video driver panel under card> bios information:
    it starts with something like "BK ATI VER............."
    thnx
    edit: i have a sapphire, u an ati...different huh?

edit2:i heard that its possible to flash another bios...ati gpu at least...so yours? :))

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005