1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD 2900 Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Tamin, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi all listen i just bought my first "good" system and already have problems with the vga card the 2900 pro 1gb. can u check my system pls?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, Bus800Mhz, s775, 2MB
    MB: Asus P5B s775, Conroe, P965, DDRII 800, PCI-E
    Memory: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Revision 2 XTC
    VGA: SAPPHIRE ATI HD2900PRO HDMI 1GB DUAL DVI PCI-E
    HD: WD 320GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATAII
    Case: HEC Compucase CI-6A21 (No PSU)
    PSU: HEC 500TD-TF 500W 2x8cm fan 24pin

i connected to the card 2x 6 pins cause i dont have 8 pins connector, anyway i ran crysis and the card like got heated and rebooted the whole pc, friend told me its the psu, so i thought buying this baby http://www.hec-group.com.tw/model.php?category=psu&sub_category=certified_psu&model=zephyr (the 750Watt)

and also maybe add this vga cooler (dunno if it fits the 2900) http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=192

what ya'll think bro's :rockout::banghead:

2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before buying anything I would log your GFX temperatures and ensure you're not just overheating the GPU. I don't know if the CCC actually logs the temps, or just displays them.

No need to buy a PSU if you graphics card is overheating.

I had temp issues with teh HD 2900 in my case because of the bad airflow @ the bottom of the case. I had to buy a cooler if I wanted to OC it. It could be that your airflow stinks (no offence:p)

And the overheat temp would be upwards of 90C... If its only hitting 80-85ish then I wouldn't worry (too much)

That PSU is a little wimpy though

3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    your on the right track IMO, but before buying anything make sure everything is connected and seated properly in the system, and update your mobo bios to the latest version.

4. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude and u have a cooler on the card itself? that was the solution? and tell me if this screenshot makes any sence bout the psu?[​IMG]

5. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    No that screenshot looks fine (concerning PSU and its appropriate voltages)

I don't see your GPU temperature in there though.

I would check your GPU idle and load, posts your temps if you feel like it.

If your GPU idles around 65-70, thats probably too hot. To check I use CCC under the overdrive tab is a temp monitor.

Again, AFAIK your PSU looks perfectly fine in that screenshot (temps aren't that bad either)

Oh yeah and the cooler I bought is an HR-03 R600 (just google HR-03 for the 'base' model, R600 b/c these cards have a RECESSED core...WTF!!?)

Tamin says thanks.
  6. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    listen yo im gona update my psu i think to the one in the link and get back yo to tell ya'll if it went ok (without that cool cooling system) even though id love to install that thing, thanks yall, ill keep on posting yall

7. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay Tamin, first off before you do anything, the VF900CU is NOT going to work for your HD2900PRO, 100% Guarunteed. I'm leaning towards the PSU being the issue, due to the fact that a 500W PSU is... starting to push it a bit. HEC also doesnt seem to be a high tier manufacturer. I'd instead buy a Corsair HX620, yes, even though its has "less wattage", the system will run without a flaw. That 750W PSU is somewhat overkill I mean.

Tamin says thanks.
  8. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry bro i ment this cooling system http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/ati-vga/tr-hr-03-r600 even though i doubt ill get it, but maybe...

____________________________________________________------__________________

and i have like another problem if u may, i've put on my old card that came with the case, i think its an onboard msi radeon rx1550 256.. anyway i played a game and the system still reboots itself and i like read and all and people suggest its a cooling problem but on everest everything shows normal, but tbh some dude posted and kinda suggested its still a psu problem, not giving enough voltage/watage, and he asked if some hardware setting had been changed (i didnt know u cant change hardware settings of power supplyes...) thanks yo :)

9. computertechy

computertechy New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought the HR-03/R600 was for the 2900XT only

i may be wrong

otherwise its a KICK ASS!!! cooler

10. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    aye!:toast:

11. computertechy

computertechy New Member

Thanks Received:
    here's a pick of mine to tease you tamin

[​IMG]

12. Tamin New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol dude :p

edit: eventually the problem was a wimpy last gen psu, and to add to the confusion it was also broken, so i got a BFG1000 watt PSU MWAHAHAHA BFG BFG ooohaaa

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008