1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD 4870 X2 Atomic Watercooled

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Dec 16, 2008.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wow, seem really gimicky, slap a cheap water cooling setup(and I mean really cheap, the full coverage block probably cost 90% of the overall price) and sell it for $100 more.

Cheap plastic lines scares me, they will eventually crack and leak, especially if you move them alot.

Also, were those temps with the CPU waterblock in use, or just the video card? I don't think a single 120m radiator would be enough to cooler a high end CPU and this card, especially not with the rest of the setup being weak.

I assume that should be manufacturer. :)

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Great review Wiz. I'm really impressed with the new addition of the Folding@Home chart! Great addition!

4. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This watercooling setup disappoints me. I would have rather seen a better quality build that just concerns the card and not the cpu. There is no reason someone couldn't run a separate loop for the cpu and let the GPU have its own dedicated cooling.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The water cooling setup isn't that bad really. You don't have to mount the pump/block combo to the CPU, but it's there if you want to do it.

6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    If you did put it on the CPU the loop would be overloaded. The temps of this WC setup are horrid. I would rather eat cat poo than consider this a solution for a 4870x2.

7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    First things First, W1zz, what is ATI Tools successor and can I download it? I need something that works on Vista X64 as ATITool just wont cut it.

On to the card, the oc is horrendous at best on this card. Im sure with ram sinks on the underside it will help, but a single fan small rad cant cut the mustard. This card runs hot and draws some watts so they should have thought better about it, or used a quality combo from DD, Swiftech, Apogee, et al.

The block looks small but the copper side, from what I see, looks polished. I wonder if anyone tried it out yet?

8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it's actually the LCLC (low cost liquid cooling) system from asetek

9. Pixelated

Pixelated New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you justify such a high rating when their are so many negative aspects of this card. I mean why would anyone pay the premium price plus time and setup for a card where the positive aspects of water cooling are negated by a cheap and underpowered setup? Now of course overclocking always varies but with an average 5% OC this setup seems pointless to me unless you are simply buying it as a quieter solution. Even then it comes with it's own radiator and fan which can't be all that quiet.

I would prefer to see them do what BFG Tech does with the Nvidia cards which is offer a full cover water block on a card to add to an existing WC setup. This seems like a good idea but seems to be poorly executed.

10. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    yum! my cat's litter box does need cleaned. want to come over for dinner. ^_^

i do totally agree with you though. this seems poorly executed.

11. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    wow , great price i think it was over 650$ , now i see is 540$ this is smart chose sure , and look for nice package box , great performance , thanx wizzard nice review good work

12. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
  13. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Were the rads fins damaged right out of the box?