1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Hd 7950 unflashable !!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Spiro67, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, i would flash my reference sapphire hd 7950, but i have tried all the bios and nothink is working. The stock bios from the sapphire there is uploaded on techpowerup does not work too. Can you please help me ?
    Sorry for my bad english...

2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Why do you want to flash it? There have been so many post on here about people wanting to flash there GPU and they have ended up with a paper weight.

If you want higher clock speeds just use a program like afterburner or sapphire trix.

Is it realy worth bricking your card just to maybe gain a few more FPS?

3. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If i flash maybe i can overclock more...I just tell why it doesn't work and if some people had the same problem...

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Did you try force flashing it?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Well flashing your card with a diffrent bios does not guarantee faster overclocks and there is always that change the flash could go wrong, Is it realy worth it for maybe 2/3 more fps?

You can't just flash it with any bios as there are so many things that could be diffrent to such as memory timings and voltage.

6. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not for win 2/3 fps, but just to overclock it at his maximum.. Yes i know how to flash a graphic card and force flashing, but after the flash i have a black screen et than i must flash with my original bios.

7. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're going about this all wrong, most people will find their max stable overclock then flash not the other way around and it seems like you don't have much knowledge or experience in flashing so there's a possibility you could end up killing your card. What is wrong with software OC?

Law-II says thanks.
  8. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

What is the Sapphire Hd 7950; model number ? [Note: According to [H]OCP ( http://www.hardocp.com/ ) HD7950 review AMD reported that the HD7950 had some key hardware on the PCB lazer cut to make it physically impossible to software flash to HD7970] [Edit: If this is a non reference design it may or maynot unlock, this has not been confirmed]

What are you trying to unlock? Voltage, core or memory clocks [if just core and memory; as others have suggested use a software application to OC these]

Have you used the [-unlockrom 0] command without success?

To other users and TPU Note: Always backup your vga bios before attempting to flash

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No i haven't used the [-unlockrom 0] command. i would flash my card to expect that i can overclock my graphic card more. i would not flash with an hd7970 bios. But with my hd6850 that i had before, i win 50 mhz with an asus bios...

10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This gain of 50Mhz may have been attributed to slightly differing memory timmings and realy was not worth flashing a vga bios to achive; when so many things can go wrong.

atb

Law-II

11. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Does your card have the bios switch ?

12. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes my card has the bios switch.

13. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea of the reasonsing behind this... perhaps I read this excerpt wrong:
    You cant flash a 7950 with a 6850 bios. They are COMPLETELY different cards.

I wish people that are green under the collar would stop wanting to flash GPU's when you can much easier and with ZERO chance of bricking your card, use software. There is a lot of risk involved when doing so really...

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  14. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't understand what you say ?? I just say that with my hd6850 when i change bios i can overclock more than i will flash my hd 7950 with an other hd 7950 bios and so i can mybe oveclock more

15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree here, most of the threads you read on people who flashed their cards were "OMG I flashed my GTX 690 with a 8800Ultra to OC it more... IT WONT BOOT!!!! HELP!"

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand where your limit is on overclocking? Are you saying you can push the card to the max overclock set in CCC (example, i have a HD7970 and max OC in CCC is 1125mhz)

Now if i use a diffrent program such as afterburner i can unlock the cap and go way past 1125mhz but my card is only stable upto 1050mhz and no bios flash is going to make any diffrence to me.

If you don't care for the extra FPS why the hell would you want to overclock anyway, Is it realy going to make things any better? Is it worth risking breaking your card for an extra 50mhz.

It might help more if you can explain in detail why you realy want to do this and also tell us what overclock wall you are hitting.

17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt all of the newer reference cards have voltage adjustments?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I'm not 100% sure as the manufacturers always seem to change little things but don't seem to tell anyone.

19. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the voltage control and no clock limit with sapphire trixx. I'm actually at 1150 mhz for the core and 1600 mhz for the memory with 1.25V at trixx and 1.2 V with gpu-z thats my limit. Are you sure tha flashing bios does not help to overclock more ?

20. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    But you didnt say that... I quoted you.

Again, stop worrying about flashing a bios, just overclock through software and have it load those clocks at startup. Done... and with ZERO chance to brick your card. :toast:

Correct.

21. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as you have unlocked voltage already using trixx i don't see how a bios flash is going to make any diffence inless it does some stuff i can't get my head around.

Most people only seem to want to flash because they want to try and unlock the voltage or just can't be bothered to use software programs for overclocking.

Personly speaking, i would not risk flashing my card because i can't afford to just buy a new one if something went wrong.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    FYI, guys, HD7950 has 3 version, stock 800 MHz, OC avg 875-900MHz, and the boost BIOS, 925 MHz.

For me, the OC BIOSes clock best. But, GHz BIOSes have highest clock limits.

I do not blame someone for wanting to flash a card that has a BIOS switch just for that purpose, when so many BIOS versions for the exact same physical card exist.

OH, and all three of those BIOSes tend to use different stock voltage, too. :p Why would you flash a BIOS? Are you guys really asking this?:shadedshu

23. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can unlock your voltage with trixx, dont even bother flashing the card, relatively pointless for the cost if you brick it. 3fps isnt exactly worth the loss of $300...

24. Spiro67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your answer ! I have tried sapphire oc bios and boost bios but i have a black screen after flashing and the stock bios there is on techpowerup doesn't work too ! Only the backup of my bios works...

25. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Then i would not risk doing anymore and be happy with the overclock you have.
    Nice overclock to :)

@cadaveca

We know why people want to do flash bios but sometimes is it realy worth it?
    Maybe i am holding back because of all the post over the last few months talking about how people have bricked there cards and now have a paper weight.