1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire hd4850 512mb

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by drundrun, Jan 28, 2009.

1. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!
    I want to ask if i flash mu vga bios,is there a chance the atikmdag error stop displaying in vista.now the bios version is VER011.003.000.000.029117.can you point me which bios to put and if someone know any other solution for the error because i don't want to go back to winxp!Thx!
  2. lucasweir

Thanks Received:
    i doubt it is your bios, is your card overclocked?
  3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Atikmdag error is actually a service called "ATi External events utility", if you go to your Windows task manager you should see a service running that looks something like atimgxxx.exe and thats it, a different BIOS will probably not help with that as usually it indicates that your card is running outside driver specs, for example, if you were overclocking above the CCC upper limit.

What you can do to stop it in vista is to go into control panel........administrative services.......services (I am trying to do this from memory as I am at work now!), and under services you will see ATi external event utility, right click, go to properties and disable it.....you should not get the error message again, HOWEVER, in some scenario's you may get a slight performance hit.

Of course you could just do it the old fashioned way and go to "start"....."run" ... type "msconfig" .... hit the services and/or startup tabs find it and disable from there.
    drundrun says thanks.
  4. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG it worked i thought i stop this service,but thats my mistake i only stopped it not disable it...Thank you a lot!!!I've been trying to fix this error for months and reinstall vista about 10 times.i've pass 3dmark and farcry2 benchmarks where i had crashes now i'll try play some games..Thank you once again!

edit:damm still the error appears sometimes...ithought it was over...
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Glad it worked....most of the time, if you continue to get the odd error, that could be because of a driver or CCC re-install as the re-install will automatically enable it again, I would suggest uninstalling the whole driver/CCC package, use Driver cleaner to pick up the remnants left behind, then re-install 8.12 completely, then go in and perminantly disable the external events utility again BEFORE you reboot, it should be fine then.
  6. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I reinstalled them but still random crashes,and i don't know why but now i can only use 8.12(hot fix) drivers when i install other i get an error that the drivers can't start.tonight maybe i'll reinstall vista and do everything step by step.
    i forgot to ask,is it normal my Graphics Score to be 6683 in 3dmark vantage in 1280x1024 in performance?isn't that low?
  7. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I dont know as I cannot see your specs, if you fill in your specs that will help! otherwise go to the 3D Mark Vantage thread and compare yours with like systems.
  8. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my conf:CPU:C2D E8400 3Ghz;MB:GB EP45-DS4;Vid:Sapphire hd4850 512mb;Ram:2x2 Corshair dominator 1066mhz;hdd:750gb seagate;PSU:Fortron Bluestorm 2 500W
  9. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think your scores are normal.
  10. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I reinstall vista put the new drivers 9.1 disabled the ati external even utility but still the crashes:((any other ideas what to do?
  11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Can you access CCC?
  12. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i even overclocked it a little and put the fan to 80% but the crashes continue..:banghead:
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Right, my next suggestion would be to uninstall CCC and everything but the ATi drivers, then again, disable ATI external events utility, then if not already, download and install ATi tray tools which will give you even greater overclocking and visual tuning tools, then see if the problem is solved, I had to actually do it that way for a month until I eventually solved a similar problem and my cards actually ran faster and IQ was improved.

Edit: A COMPLETE uninstall followed by a driver only installation.
  14. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK i'll try that too but now i made some test i use only one stick of the ram and the error disappeared.put again the two stick of ram the problem shows up!I din't expect it could be a ram problem.so is the ram damaged or there is some incompatibility between the ram and the motherboard?
  15. drundrun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think one of my ram sticks is damaged or something because with one of them a have no problems no crashes and when i put the other the atikmdag arror starts to show.so should i return it from where i bought it?is it damaged?
  16. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Set higher ram timings ...

It looks that you have made a bad OC on your motherboard.