1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD4850 artifacts...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by HiSpeed, Oct 28, 2012.

1. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I have a Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 creating artifacts ($$$$$$$ into the bootup black screen, etc.) and not working properly in 3D.

With difficulties, I succeeded twice to fix that, with an OCCT GPU test. :confused:

I don't know if it's a known issue (BIOS bug or hardware malfunction), or it's coming from what I tried to do for the cooling fan : here.

I use the last Catalyst 12.6 for my XP Pro SP3 but that's surely not the problem here.

If someone can help?

Thanks

2. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    If you flashed a modded BIOS onto the card, try rolling it back to the original. Also, if you have changed your drivers recently, try going back to ones you knew worked. By the sound of it, the card might be on its way out or is getting too hot (maybe try cleaning the cooler).

3. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your answer.

I've been obliged to roll back before to run OCCT because it was not capable to start without error.
    Please note that after rolling back, I powered off and on the PC without success, only OCCT fixed this issue.

My modded BIOS has been working without trouble for several days.
    This old card is new for me, so I installed it with the last driver after a clean-up (cooling paste change, dust, etc.).

For now, the card works fine with the original BIOS...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  4. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    As the card seems to be working now with the original BIOS, my mod is probably responsible.

What could be the origin, the "PWM ramp on"?

I repeat the screen shots :
    - original
    - modded

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Artifacts can occur from not having enough voltage applied for the Gpu and memory

HiSpeed says thanks.
  6. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but I got this issue with 2 PSU (Antec 450W and Enermax 350W), so I think the BIOS responsible...

7. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    He means vcore on the card this has nothing to do with the output of your PSU, the card didn't like the modded bios but works well with the original, just take it as a lesson learned and move on.

8. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Easy to say, but where to move?
    In other words, how to modify the thermal parameters with RBE (if I suppose this tool good)? :D

9. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not just use software to OC it?

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what I was saying is the voltage applied for VCore and Vdimm werent high enough to support the clocks being used for the card, where as restoring the original bios put the card back in normal operating parameters.

Honestly THough You should be able to use MSI After Burner for Voltage adjustments to that card. if Youre having artifacts after increasing clock speed increase your voltage slightly. But Keep your temperatures in check.
    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

Reference temperatures for the 4850 by SKU

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/355208-33-maximum-safe-temp

I also have to ask what is the rest of the system specs for the machine because overclocking a GPU puts a heavier than normal load on the PSU too and if the PSU cant keep up youll never reach the speeds you want

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understood that, the OP didn't as he replied that he had tried 2 different PSU's. I still think he would be better off sticking to software OC.

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Yes I agree, it is alot safer than bios modding, plus easier to stop compared to a bios flash that has clocks and voltage set too high

13. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Please, keep in mind that my need was not to OC anything, but only to change the fan curve !

Note also that during my OCCT GPU tests, I checked the voltages with AIDA64 for the 2 PSU's, and nothing was wrong...

That looks like a corrupted BIOS, but I don't understand why when reinstalling the original, the corruption remains until I use OCCT...

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Now I'm confused. you first said that after bios modding you had artifacting. but after you put the original back in you don't have it. now you're saying you have artifacting but after running occt it doesn't artifact. SO which is it do you or don't you have artifacting!?

Also sometimes monitors or cables do cause issues over time centain percentage out of proper working units

15. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you monitoring the PSU voltages? software monitoring of PSU rails is crap at best and that's not what was implied earlier regarding voltages, he was referring to the internal voltages of the cards core clock and memory clock, not your PSU voltages.

Any named brand 300w+ PSU will be able to handle a 4850, the issue seems to be your card didn't like the bios you flashed it with. Use software to create fan profiles, it's better than risking bricking the card altogether.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I suspect the card might be ramping voltage and clock speed up during games/ stress testing. but honestly the best stress tests are a slew of games where data is extremely dynamic

HiSpeed says thanks.
  17. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    As there is some confusing, I explain again.

Twice I modded my BIOS only to change the fan curve.
    Twice I got artifacts (after a long while) but it was impossible to suppress them, even with an original BIOS restoration, or changing the PSU.
    The only solution I found, has been to run an OCCT GPU test with the original BIOS.

I tested voltages with AIDA64 because I suspected my first Antec 450W PSU.
    At this level, I still have a doupt with so it's the reason why I use now the Enermax 350W.

For now, games, FurMark, OCCT run without any error.

Thanks again for your help, sorry if I was unclear.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  18. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Do you think PSU micro-breaks capable to do that, with normal voltages from system stability test of Aida64 ?

19. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Also artifacts can occasionally be caused by weak connections in the solder if the card has been running at high temps. The solution i used for a 7900 geforce was to stick it in the oven for 12 minutes at 375 degrees farenheit after removing all plastic and the cooler. Worked a charm for me.

20. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Yes I know, but that's not my case, further more my wife refuses to loan me her oven... :D

21. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys,

I think I've found the culprit...

When opening my Antec PSU box, I've discovered a very brown zone around a diode.

When touching the diode with a pencil, it was moving.
    On the other side, I saw its 2 pins not correctly soldered on the printed circuit board.

What's your feeling now?

22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    You need a new PSU!

23. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    No, because I've re-soldered the diode... :D

Next time, think twice before to answer... :laugh:

24. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Next time let people know that you have fixed an issue you posted about as we're not mind readers, and try not to be sarcastic about it :slap:

25. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    Once again, you're on the wrong way... :rolleyes:

I thanks eidairama1 who gave me a good idea for a possible electrical issue.

I don't consider my problem fixed yet, because I have to reflash my modded BIOS to be sure, but I think you can't understand that...