1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD5870 Death?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Shurakai, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, small problem after making a HD7970 purchase

Not even a day after pulling the trigger and ordering a HD7970 my HD5870 has started to do this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chose Minecraft due to the effect being easier to see with such simple colours and shapes; rest assured it happens in games such as Skyrim, Saints Row the Third etc. So the question is, dying? dead? fixable? fubar?

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel and check out the pics, any suggestions/opinions/insight is welcome.

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it looks as though it's dying, however it may be worth a clean uninstall of the drivers and a reinstall, if that don't work try downclocking your 3D speeds to see if the problem goes away and if you are still left with problems it's either a bake in the oven or a throw in the trash! I assume your PSU is in decent order? try downclocking your CPU just to eliminate a power problem.

3. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    driver issue, tatty one is right. uninstall and reinstall the drivers with the latest version

4. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did a nice full driver wipe in safe mode and re-downloaded and re-installed the 12.1 drivers. No dice sadly, a bake in the oven you say? Don't suppose there's a suggested temperature and time? Till fluffy or golden brown?

On that note I shall try it in another computer just in case my PSU is getting a little old.

5. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    What temps is the card hitting? Does it still have the stock thermal paste?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stock thermal paste, idles around 42-50 (Around 50 with dual monitors connected to to 400/1250 speeds required) 68-70 gaming, 78-85 in Kombustor.

7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those temps are OK, if you cant get hold of another PSU to test..... just revert your cpu to stock and then give it a go.

8. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same results in my comp sadly, but finally got around to trying it in another computer.

Exact same problem... for the first 10-20 minutes, after that... it just... stopped. Seems to be working fine now, I cannot explain it :eek:

I'll sleep on it and try some other configurations tomorrow, this is one hell of a puzzler.

9. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Do a fresh/clean Windows install.

10. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would, but the following tests rule out that as a cause thankfully :)

Decided I would try it in my parents computer and friends due to them both only being a short drive away. Since "fixing" itself in the other computer of mine it appears to be in 100% working order, very puzzling; and I was hoping for Soufflé de 5870 :p (Might still do that for the hell of it with an old "dead" 8800GTS). It's now back in my computer until the 7970 arrives today, so I'll play some Minecraft/Skyrim for an hour or so and see how she holds up.

I remember reading somewhere that the 5000 series had some sort of memory protection? Something along the lines of if the memory was failing it would do something to maintain it, could be talking out of my arse though.

Anyway, if anyone else has a theory or two, post em' up :D