1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire PURE Innovation PI-A9RX480

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Jul 26, 2005.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  2. eva2000

Thanks Received:
    Nice review, but any chance of redoing some tests so all boards use same memory and timings for a more valid comparison ?

3. //mAr New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think he used auto timings... and i think sapphire board has tighter auto timings ;)

4. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Contact Sapphire and ask them if your board is one that is affected by this problem, or grab yourself a DMM (digital multimeter) and test out the two holes.

If you use the retention module that came with the board, you should be fine.

EDIT: Just downloaded the manual, and it looks like the cooler comes with its own special backplate. I would contact Sapphire if I were you, and check to make sure that your board is not affected by this issue.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I am going to need to do just that.

The Hyper 212 does have it's own backplate to mount onto the mainboard. I am worried I will fry the board/cpu or both.

I have also mailed Coolermaster for info.
    Will forward Sapphire the same mail.

If I get feedback I will post it up. This is a pretty old board so I doubt too many people will need it, but it'll be available eitherway.

So far none of my searches have been able to give me a definitive answer about the use of this cooler and mainboard combo.

Thanks anyway mate!

8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    When did you buy the board? W1zzard showed that Sapphire said the problem would only be with the first few batches of boards. If you got it right when it was released, I would be worried. If not, you're probably okay.

9. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was given this board by a client who recently upgraded his PC.

I am not 100% sure when he got it as he won it at a LAN party he attended.

I am going to wait for either Coolermaster or Sapphire to get back to me and then see what they say.

10. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    It's a nice lookin' board tbf - it'll be interesting to know how you get on with it.

11. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    The board thus far has been fantastic. It's board connecters and the board itself react with UV light which makes for an interesting display at the right LAN party.

I have it in my Coolermaster Centurion 590 and have had no hassles with the system and the stock cooler.

I've been monitoring the temps since building the machine into this case and have become concerned with the Northbridge and Ambient temps as of late.

The NB can get up to 56'C and that makes the Ambient temp around 40'C under load.

The stock cooler seems to keep the CPU at a stable 45'C.

I am intending to mount 2 120mm blowholes to the roof and 2 120mm fans on the side panel to try and push the hot air out and maybe passively cool the NB and SB.

Wizard showed that the MOSFET's also have a huge passive heatsink, I was thinking of mounting a fan to the heatsink just as he did but have also been wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with a copper heatsink and active fan cooling solution.

Coolermaster advised that if I want to use the Hyper212 in this case I will need to remove one of the side panel fans, which is fine because I am thinking of fabricating a metal mounting plate for it to become another intake fan on the front of the case.

At this point it looks like I might not be able to use the Hyper 212 in this rig so I will keep it aside for a while.

I am wondering though if I couldn't find some rubber gromments that would fit the motherboard holes to insulate the electicity from the metal backing plate of the Cooler.

All in good time though.

Think I need to yank this board out and get a DMM on the holes to see what I find there.

12. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Finally bought me a new DMM so I can test for voltage on the CPU ZIFF Socket mounting points as mentioned in the review.

Hopefully there will be nothing there and I can finally fit my Hyper212 Cooler.