1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Fan Problems

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Astor, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello to everyone!. I am having some issues with the noise of my graphic card. Since yesterday I am having a problem concerning the noise that my graphic card makes. I have it about a year or so and never had a problem with that. Yesterday I turned on my pc and a weird noise came out of it. I turned it off and immidiately open it and starting cleaning my cpu and graphic fan.The problem is even though I cleaned it and trust me theres no dust in the fan the noise was still there. I even tested by playing a game so I could see if the temp is as it used to be and it seems to work fine but the noise is there. What do you think its the problem? ( i am not very well informed on hardware but Ill try to give any info needed!)
    1.gif

2.gif

2. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    a link to your card?

3. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    the thing is the noise it does sounds like its a fan problem but the flow of the fan is perfect. It even goes by blowing with my mouth!

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you describe the noise? There is a possibility of oil running dry/ fan unbalanced

6. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    The noise comes definetly from the fan i checked it. the noise is like theres a problem in the motor of the fan. No I dont think its oil related cause I never had any leaks
    If its about fan not balancing is there a way to fix it?

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My 5870 XFX fan started whining a month ago, but the fan is still running fine. If I tilt the rig on it's side it'll go away. I suspect bearings going bad, not sure if there is anyway to fix it. If I can't find a replacement, I'll be seeing if XFX is good on thier "lifetime" warrantee.

Astor says thanks.
  8. pdimar1

pdimar1

Thanks Received:
    is it this one, SAPPHIRE 100283-3L, because i had the same exact problem after maybe a year and i cleaned it as best as i could and it still made a humming noise, i just bought a new card after that

9. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    its just the noise that is making me crazy :p

10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Try this
    stop the fan with a pen or something, see if it goes away? It maybe doing a death squeal.
    You can find replacemen fans if you search on Flee Bay.........

Astor says thanks.
  11. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    The fan on this card will be noisy and very noticeable beyond 60%.
    There should be no problem with your fan. It's a combination between the type of fan (mechanism and blades) and the RPM it spins at.
    I had to tweak the fan profile on mine (w/afterburner) to allow it to cool down if it got too hot (AMD drivers only let it spin up to 45%, from 40%, if the card is at ~80ºC) and remain silent otherwise.
    If the fan is still producing noise when the card is idle, even with the temps down, the fan might be failing and you should start looking for alternatives. If you can manage to ghetto mod a fan into the original heatsink, that will work. But there are more alternatives from 3rd parties. One I would recommend, if your chassis has enough airflow inside, is the Arctic Accelero S1 Plus. It will make your card dead silent and it's widely available pretty much everywhere, I believe. And yes, it doesn't need the fan addon. The HD 5770 doesn't heat up to critical levels with that passive cooler unless it's overclocked.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    I had this card a while ago, actually I have it now running in my HTPC and its making the same noise you are describing. The thing is with these cheap fans is that the axle or the spindle of the fan gets loose and starts making the sound, so if the trick with oiling it woon't work I'm afraid nothing can, other than replacing it

Astor says thanks.
  13. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    while i have the pc turned on?

14. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Supposedly, unless you can find a way to have the fan working without the computer as well.
    Had it like this:
    [​IMG]
    I now have it like this:
    [​IMG]

Astor says thanks.
  15. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    My problem is the noise is does while idle. My temp are just fine and always been so. I didnt have any noise until yesterday at idle fan speed (40%). While now at 40% I get a lot of noise. Will try to oil the fan tomorrow when i got time : / although I dont think its easy to oil the fan with the specific cooler on this card. Think ill have to take the screws out and pull out the fan

16. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    if you have a warranty use that if not you could always go aftermarket or make a ghetto mod.

17. Astor New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats a ghetto mod?

18. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    is this thecard? I would remove the fan, pull the paper cover off the shaft make sure the clip is tight. Check to see if it wobbles on the shaft, if not try 1 drop of good machine oil then try it.
    While you have it apart make sure there is nothing wrapped around the shaft ie cat/dog hair
    If it still make noise Getto mod remove the fan only & replace it with an 80mm glued or screwed to the shroud [​IMG]
    not a good pic but you get the idea

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  19. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    replace the fan with other one thats fits after you remove the plastic shroud.

20. misato New Member

Thanks Received:
    or if you're not comfortable with that, there are always after-market coolers out there in the market that you can use...

21. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Why does it make noise when its shut off?