1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X OC Problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Gershwin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Gershwin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone.
    First of all, i am absolutley not firm in overclocking, but will learn fast.

Ive bought this card a few days ago and it seems the card is incompatible with my system or just damaged.
    Here some infos:
    The cards specs are 875/1250 standard.
    The Bios on it, was from week 11 2010, sapphrie allready send me a few weeks jounger one, i flashed it, but the problem remains.
    The Problem:
    After a while the card freezes my system with grey colored vertical lines, but stresstests like furmark tells me the card is max at 71°C, GPU-Z shows nothing special for me when crashing ... (this was the last log before the systems froze, and as you can see, the temperature was at 53°C, GPU load at 95%, Fan 1340)

2011-08-01 23:42:36 , 875.0 , 1250.0 , 43.0 , 24 , 95 , 1340 , 43.5 , 53.5 , 50.5 , 1.163 ,

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed [%] , GPU Load [%] , Fan Speed [RPM] , GPU Temp. #1 [°C] , GPU Temp. #2 [°C] , GPU Temp. #3 [°C] , VDDC [V] ,

When (don´t laugh please) underclocking :ohwell: my card to 875/1200, so 50 less memory clock, the systems never freeze or give me any problems.

Sapphire support gave me the new bios, wich is allready on and pruduces the same faults, but on a V-Core of 1.185 V, even in idle.
    I also tryed trixx on 1.2 V, same problem.

My idea is that (if the memory is not damaged, hopefully) my computer specs, espec. my Rams, are incompatible. I know my systems hardware is not the best, but i have a family to feed :toast: and my bucks are limited.

I tryed overvolting the rams in mainboard bios, all settings to standard, no tuning etc. etc.
    Problem remains where it is, the card freezes running at standard 875/1250, at 875/1200 perfect.

Cause sapphire gave me the link to the RBE tool, i came to this side and hoped you master of overclocking guys can help me with this.
    Just for your info, i am not in need of more power :)eek:) but want a stable card and clearance about the problem (warranty). So if this means to flash the bios or else, i will listen, learn and do.

Don´t want to send in the card and get it back, cause my system causes the problem :rolleyes:
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Raise an RMA with sapphiretech the vga card is faulty

Edit did you remove the drivers before flashing the vga bios update?

Edit could you attach a copy of the updated bios that sapphirtech sent you, this will help other members of TPU assit you further.

atb

Law-II
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Gershwin says thanks.
  3. Gershwin New Member

Thanks Received:
    How can you be sure ?
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Your vga card was advertised at vcore 875 & mem 1250 and sold to you; it dose not do this without freezing yes, it should have headroom to OC on top of the factory clock speeds it dose's not do that. you have been sent a new bios from sapphiretech and it has not resolved the issue; Note if you start to modify the bios your warrenty will be void, RMA is the only way.

add for vga card

"The SAPPHIRE HD 5870 Vapor-X is based on the latest graphics architecture from the ATI division of AMD, the second generation of GPU to be built in its 40nm process. It supports the advanced graphical features of DirectX 11, and delivers spectacular video clarity, speed and visual effects, including over multiple monitors with the new ATI Eyefinity mode.

Sporting a new 150GB/s memory interface supporting fifth generation GDDR5 memory and a new architecture with a total of 1600 stream processors and 80 texture units the SAPPHIRE HD 5870 Vapor-X has twice the computing power of the previous generation. With enhanced clock speeds of 875MHz core and 1250MHz (5GHz effective) the SAPPHIRE HD 5870 Vapor-X model is the fastest card in its class, and SAPPHIRE’s World leading Vapor-X technology not only allows the card to run as much as 15 degrees C cooler and 10dB quieter than the standard model, it provides additional headroom for performance tuning (overclocking)."

nb: please feel free to wait for other members of TPU to suggest other alternatives

Note: the Voltage registers for GPU & VTT cannot be altered via the vga bios
    Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X OC Edition
    GPU Device Id: 0x1002 0x6898
    113-C00140-003
    CYPRESS XT GDDR5 32Mx32 C00801 BIOS UCODEv:1255
    (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
    ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.018.000.001.000000
    140X0300.V43
    Clock State 0
    Core Clk: 850.00 MHz
    Memory Clk: 1200.00 MHz
    Voltage: VID1
    Flags: Boot
    Clock State 1
    Core Clk: 875.00 MHz
    Memory Clk: 1250.00 MHz
    Flags: Optimal Perf
    Clock State 2
    Core Clk: 400.00 MHz
    Memory Clk: 900.00 MHz
    Voltage: 1.063 V
    Flags: UVD
    Clock State 3
    Core Clk: 875.00 MHz
    Memory Clk: 1250.00 MHz
    Flags: Optimal Perf
    Clock State 4
    Core Clk: 157.00 MHz
    Memory Clk: 300.00 MHz
    Voltage: 0.950 V
    Flags: ACPI

atb

Law-II
    Gershwin says thanks.
  5. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

you could try this

Have you tested another Vga card in your PC
    what where you running before? did you have the same issue?
    Have you tested your Vga card in another PC

atb

Law-II
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    easiest solution would to RMA it.

The other suggestion would to ensure the video card cooler is completely in contact with the ram, n to check the screws attaching the cooler to the card, just a warning though. ESD is leading cause of failure in computer components so ground yourself by touching unpainted metal portion of case or have a ground strap on you before touching any computer parts.

I think Nowadays that since the 5870 Has been Phased out, They are liable to replace it with an equivalent from the new line of cards, Im not sure if the 6870 is faster or what but, you might get one with the vapor-x cooling.

N to top things off, your powersupply could be an issue. The Other thing too is if video drivers from previous board havent been removed thoroughly/completely, n if your motherboard drivers are outdated.
    Gershwin says thanks.
  7. Gershwin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used before the 5770 and there wasnt any problem, but that card has a 128bit memory, the 5870 256bit, thought maybe this could be the problem for my old system.

It make all sense, just was hoping you guys doing this all night long and say something like:" yeah no prob, flash this bios from xxx and enjoy" :D

I will test one thing more before i give it back to sapphire, using fast ram in my system, cause (not sure why, my 2cents), i have the feeling my ram is the prob.

The power supply was changed a few days ago, the problem was also on the old PU.

Doing something like taking a screwdriver, is completly the job of sapphire not my ;)

Furmark is running 20 minutes at 71°C without any probs, the problems only happen in games like FSX, or BFBC2, etc.

Anyway, thx for your help guys. Guess have to ship it back to sapphire :(
    Law-II says thanks.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the countless 5870's I went through. I think the final count was 8 or nine. Don't waste your time, and RMA.
  9. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    you are very welcome; good luck

atb

Law-II
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    Gershwin says thanks.
  10. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    there is no problem with your system. if it works fine when you underclock, then that means it doesn't work at the rated specs; the specs you paid for. RMA it. whatever Sapphire says, if it doesn't work out of the box, it is not YOUR fault.

p.s.
    i think i have the same VGA as you. is this the blue PCB model or black PCB model? I regret not getting the black PCB model, which is a reference design, and supports overvolting. Blue PCB model sucks. Doesn't overclock well because cannot up the volts. It runs cool and there is so much headroom if it was possible to overvolt. :(
    Gershwin says thanks.
  11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    odds are there is nothing wrong with the card .. quit spreading misinformation

all you need todo is disable ULPS/UVD and bump the clocks by 5-10mhz
    http://www.overclock.net/10417574-post21.html
    theres been a long standing issue with some of the early 58xx cards where the gpu would crash because of clock speeds to high for the given voltage
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  12. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    OneMoar, you actually say know that the power management must be disabled so the card is still "faulty" IMHO.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    no the card is not faulty just a few early models of the 5xxx cards at the issue on "certain system configurations"
    mainly sappire cards
  14. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    sapphire set clock stages wrong and never corrected the issue
    and its not underclocking is what is correcting the issue anytime you use amd overdrive it nerfs the ULPS/power play settings a bit
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    = a fault by the manufacturer. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to test thier devices, and if there are incompatibility issues, to notify you.

Since there is no official list from any hardware manufacturer that states the 5870 cards have compatibility issues, then it safe to assume it should work equally well in all systems.

We, as consumers, must DEMAND higher quality products by not succumbing to shody products and having to hack hardware to get it to work. Plug it in, install OS, drivers, and it should all work, provided you have parts based off of any QVL. QVL's exist for this purpose alone, and I know of no motherboard QVL that states there is any issues with 5870s.

I don't care what the problem is, or what causes it. It's not the users place to deal with such issues.
  16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    vendor != manufacturer
    also assume makes a ...
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Say what you will. I returned many cards for this exact issue, and the manufacturer never tested any of these cards as "working".

Yes, there are ways to circumvent the issue. And that fine...and good...but...the hardware is faulty, plain and simple, if default clocks do not work in a default system with current drivers.

And I'm reporting your post for flame baiting.
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    lol

just lol
    No I am not flame baiting I am getting tired of idiots pointing fingers and bitching when they don't have a clue
    speaking of ... bios is SOFTWARE
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    by no means is it acceptable for a card you paided 200+ bucks for to have that kind of flaw but sending it back and getting the same card won't correct the issue the issue is with the drivers and the bios
    backon topic here if you try what I said and it still gives you problems then you can attempt to rma it
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    This is not the case though, as many cards work without issue with the same drivers and BIOS. The OP has already tried updated firmware without success.

And I do have a clue, thank you, that's why I currently review hardware for a living.:laugh:
  21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    every system is a bit different every vender is a bit different
    people jumping off the OMG the card is junk send it back bridge annoy me to no end
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It's fine if it annoys you. The GSOD issue is something everyone should be RMAing for, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

No user should have to flash VGA BIOS for stock operation. Period.

Cards should be tested before leaving the factory, and as this is a known issue(as are several others with the 5870), RMA is the only option. I do require, personally, that OEMs ensure users are not left with silly issues like this one. As a reviewer, it's my job to report these issues I run into to OEMs sothat they can fix them.

I literally went through 9 cards with XFX with this problem. I was never denied an RMA. In the end, they gave me 6950 2GB, and I haven't had an issue since. I complained and complained about my AMD cards here on the forums for months..until I got working ones.
  23. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    they do test the cards
    the test them to make sure they post and run a full-load without problems
    THEY don't test to make sure the driver is not gonna crash on x system because the voltage is 0.3v out of spec because x user has x model psu
    they don't run the cards in a "windows environment" do you have any idea how much time and money that would cost.... like gpu's dont cost enough
    and when you have a back stock of tens of thousands of cards you can't expect everyone of them to be run though quality control and not have them miss something
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you missed the part where I said I was a hardware reviewer?:laugh: OF course I know what it takes. It takes setting up a system once, installing drivers, and then card swaps. No big deal.

I wouldn't say that. AMD's high-end GPU sells for $350. I'm more than willing ot pay more to ensure I get good parts...you bet....when it was ATI, we paid $500 for high-end GPUs, no problem.

Sure I can, and I do. I expect less than 3% failure rate. Most of the industry is around that point, so that's good. So when we get threads like this form users with one of these issues, they should fall within the 3%, and RMA thier cards.

Could this users problem be PSU? You bet. But how come Sapphire support has not explored this option, and the OP is here asking for help? ;)

I mean, don't get me wrong..I expect OEMs to also tell users to forget about support if they do not buy parts on the QVL.
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I had a Issue with a Asus P4S8X Motherboard and a First Party ATI Radeon AIW 9700 Pro, tried several bios revisions, RMAd the vid card. It Took a Beta Bios, Driver Updates, Disable some video cache mode in the motherboard, Disable Automatic restarts and then something that causes the card to reset itself in the Radeon Drivers just to work with that motherboard.

I swapped to an MSI k7N2 Delta-L and had no problems from the video card at all.