1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire X850XT PE : white squares in some 3D applications

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by BlackSnow, Apr 9, 2006.

1. BlackSnow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

First I must say I am a complete noob about graphic cards, so please do not reject an answer to my problem just because it is too obvious.
    I bought this card (Sapphire X850XT PE) by an internet retailer, and found the seal of the box already open, so this could explain what follows. I'm not even sure there was not a cable missing.

I have had my card for a few months now. It is working perfectly most of the time, and Doom 3 runs smoothly with max resolution. The problem is Doom 3 is the exception among 3D games, whatever resolution I pick. The games suffering are quite various : battlefield 2, civilization 4, Neverwinter Nights, Rome Total War, Dungeon Siege 2, Fable,...

I have some grid of white squares (bigger than pixels, I'd say about 5mm wide on a flat 19' 1280 x 1024) appearing specifically on some parts of the screen.
    I have run the ATITool, and it reaches 44° on regular use and 90° on the 3D view.
    So could it be a heat problem ? If so what should I do ? I have already considered sending the card back to Sapphire but I'd rather have some experienced guys opinion first.

Thanks in advance for your help,

BlackSnow
  2. TheButcherNL

Thanks Received:
    Lo,

Have about the same with my card, only on my pc they are blue also, and they only appear when I enable 4xAA or higher, if I set it on 2xAA, the problem is gone.

And yeah, 90 degrees Celcius seems a bit high.

Goodluck with it.

cya later
  3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    assuming your case cooling isnt useless its getting too hot.. if it isnt poor case cooling i would think about sending it back if u can live without it.. otherwise think about refitting your heatsink.. it might be poorly fitted..

u could fit an artic vga cooler but no point if the card is at fault..

trog