1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SAS controller recommendation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vincy Boy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I just got my paws on a pair of HP 15000 RPM 300GB SAS drives. I now need a PCI-e SAS controller and plan do RAID 0 with them. I'm not looking to spend more than US $200 on this. Please give me suggestions on what card to get and any other pointers as to what to expect (possible problems) using these drives.

2. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    No ideas out there?? :confused:

3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you want to do the job properly, you need a CACHING CONTROLLER and a UPS. A caching controller gets the max performance out of the SAS drivers, and a UPS is needed because otherwise a power failure will lose data and may even render the drive useless without a reformat.

You will struggle to get a NEW caching controller for $200.

Adaptec RAID 2405 bulk, PCIe x8, may JUST fit your budget but is only 128MB cache. But Adaptec RAID 5405 bulk, PCIe x8 or HP Smart Array P400/256 is better.

Professional, high-end, SAS controllers are clearly out of your budget unless you get lucky on ebay.

Vincy Boy says thanks.
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Perc 5 is always a good choice. Cheap on ebay, does the job very well. As for a UPS, overkill.

Vincy Boy says thanks.
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Ah, but you dont want a power failure on a caching controller. Remember, there is a big difference with quality of power (source) in Benelux, UK, DE, CH compared to frequent power issues in countries like Italy, Central Europe and Barbados

6. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Now these drives were pulled from a HP server and the server has in a sas controller called the HP Smart Array E200. I was unable to use that because there was no cable to connect the drives to the drive bay of the server. Would it be good if I could find a cable and use that controller with the drives? http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/...ge/arraycontrollers/smartarraye200/index.html (It has the 128MB Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) upgrade option)
    The other thing is that thing is so fricking long probably would have to mod any case I put it in if it can fit at all but I'm game :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Probably doesn't have the 'umph' of the Adaptec 2405 that was mentioned earlier, but the price of an 8484 to SAS fan-out cable is less than $200. And if supported, you could use a SATA fan-out cable on the other 8484 port for a nice storage array.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Vincy Boy says thanks.
  8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you were spending money, I wouldnt get it. But if it is for free (ie a pull) then YEP, go for it. You will get 95%+ of the performance of a better SAS controller (except, possibly, large transactional database, server, not workstation issue), but without having to spend $300 or more. You are only putting 2 SAS drives in the system, not 8 or more, so this "lower end" controller will be more than enough. I doubt you would gain much by spending voer $300+ more. Go for what youve got.

Vincy Boy says thanks.
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I can't remember the last brown/black out we had :)

Though battery backed up cache is cheaper. Though if data is important he shouldn't run in RAID 0 in the first place.

10. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    I am just looking for the speed of these 2 drives at 15000 rpm in raid 0. Nothing important is gonna be on them that there aren't redundant copies of.:toast:
    So now to find that cable.

11. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Not to thread crap or anything...

I'm selling a Perc 5... If you are still looking for a SAS card.

12. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    Sry gonna be using the smart array e200. Got cables?:D

13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    On board solutions present the same risk with advanced caching enabled. If it's just for performance, and his permanent storage is in other drives, it doesn't really matter. The worst that happens is a clean install.