1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) Cables - What's the Deal?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by DanishDevil, May 11, 2011.

1. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I've heard many reviewers state that there is no difference between a SATA 2.0 cable and a SATA 3.0 cable other than the marking on them. I have heard others say that there are differences. I'd definitely like a definitive answer on this.

Found this from SATA-Io_Org:

They definitely mention that SATA 2.0 cables may not live up to SATA 3.0 drives, but there doesn't seem to be a set standard for the cabling, at least in that document. Is there any other information out there?
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Shielding and how it's shielded and actual wire construction is the big issue.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, if you put the two cables side by side there is a difference. It seems with a Sata 6gbps cable that it is split in two lengthwise. What it actually means in terms of how it works I have no idea.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm not sure, exactly why, but 6 Gb/s cabling is a bit thicker than SATA2.

That said, most users do not even ahve devices that should notice any real differences, unless teh cables are real garbage, but I thikn this may actualyl end up playing a role specifically with SSD speed, as SSD's reach over 500 Mb/s.