1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sata Raid question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wazzledoozle, Jan 5, 2005.

1. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    With my enw motherboard I got a converter for ATA 100/133 to SATA 150. THe driver disk that comes with it has a "SATA RAID" driver, so in the bios I turned on the RAID bootrom for the sata. Can I use the raid driver without the raid boot rom turned on, or does it have to be on? The raid utility is very nice, answered a lot of my questions just by browsing through it.

2. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Wazzle ... the Bootrom should be selected if you want to use the Raid to boot the OS from... the driver is used either way, regardless if you boot from it or not. You use the driver also when installing the OS or to do a repair from the CD, press f6 when booting from the cd so it can see the raid ... if it's a single drive connected to the controller then you do not need the raid driver ....

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only driver the disk had was for RAID, so I turned on the boot rom for isntaling xp and have left it on. Im only using one drive, so what should I do? Find a non-raid driver?

4. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Is it a Intel ICH5r? My board has two SATA controllers (Promise and Intel) and in the BIOS I have the choice to set it up as a Raid or standalone in which it's picked up as though it's a PATA drive ... I have a Raid with PATA drives and a RAID with SATA drives( Board has three RAID controllers one for PATA and SATA on the Promise and the Intel) up to 10 drives. The Promise controller uses a driver for the controller and one for the RAID(PATA RAID). The Intel only needs drivers for the RAID and not for a standalone. But if you only have one drive you should not need the RAID drivers and should be fine, unless XP barks for one ... it usually depends on the MOBO. I recently setup a 80gb SATA drive on a Gigabyte board which had Intel ICH6R controller and I did not install drivers for it. But I didn't go in to the controller and add the drive. It was seen in the BIOS as though it was a PATA drive... I hope that made sense .. :)

Attached Files:

5. Nobru_rv New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume u are talking about NF7-S. Only sata disks can go into RAID. So u need 2 sata disks or 1 SATA + 1 PATA converted to sata with SERRILEL2 (that convertor u got with your mbo). U need to activate RAID option in your bios and after boot screen u need to press F4 or similar(i think i forgot) and make a RAID. U need driver when installing win.When WINXOP asks you to press F6 ofr any SCSI or RAID device,do it. With disk in the floppy drive ,choose silicon image 3112r driver. (i think your MBO has that one). After that u will know what to do.

P.S. If u want to use just one SATA drive,then in your bios choose SATA instead RAID.Use same driver.