1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sata

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sullyvan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. sullyvan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if it was hard to set up SATA. Or is IDE a better way to go? What are the benifits of going with Serial ATA Hard Drives? ARe they more expensive?
  2. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    they are faster.they are not difficult at all.you connect 2 cables like an ide one.
    and you dont have to set up anything.just plug and play.
  3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had to do a lot with mine.. the system wouldnt even see the bloody things without lots of messing about.. they still cause me problems with my win pe and older install disks..

they might be theoretically faster (bandwidth wise) but in reality they are not.. but the cabling is a lot neater.. he he he

trog
  4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    PATA vs. SATA feature-by-feature comparison table

Sort of a "feature-by-feature" comparison for your references:

==================================================

PATA = Up to 133 Mbytes/sec vs. SATA = Up to 150 Mbytes/sec (1.5 Gbits/sec & SATA 2 up to 300mb/sec (3gb/sec))
    SATA wins: Faster, and room for expansion

PATA = Tiny jumpers vs. SATA = No master/slave, point to point
    SATA wins: Ease of use

PATA = 18-inch cable vs. SATA = Up to 39-inch (1-meter) cable
    SATA wins: Ease of integration

PATA = 2-inch-wide ribbon cable vs. SATA = Thin cable (1/4-inch)
    SATA wins: Improved system airflow

PATA = 80 conductor vs. SATA = 7-wire differential (noise canceling) Eliminates data integrity problems
    SATA wins: better data protection

PATA = 40 pin and socket vs. SATA = Blade and Beam connector (snap in)
    SATA wins: Ease of use

PATA = 2-inch-wide data connector vs. SATA = 1/2-inch-wide data connector
    SATA wins: Ease of integration

PATA = Onboard DMA controller vs. SATA = First-party DMA support
    SATA wins: Performance enhancement

PATA = High 5V tolerance for legacy drives vs SATA = Low voltage (.25V) tolerance
    SATA wins: Design improvement

PATA = Limited (legacy command queuing) vs. SATA = Intelligent Data Handling
    SATA wins: Performance enhancement

----------------------------------------------------------------

SATA additional advantages, PATA has no analog for:

Hot Swap
    Ease of integration/use
    CRC on data only
    CRC on data, command, status
    Enhanced data protection

==================================================

:)

* That's all I could find...

APK
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    so,overall sata rocks and pata is a rock.lol
  6. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    not really
    on interface level or on paper, the sata looks faster, but when the phisical limitations of the mechanical parts of the harddrive are put to the test, 1st gen satas were slower then their IDE coutnerparts, improved mechanics (that can also be implemented in PATA) impruved Sata speeds, but the really differance was made by optimzing the interace, NCQ and such have improved overall speeds, aswell as providing more bandwidth to the controller, putting up 4 high end hard drives on a single controler could affect speeds,

i would still choose sata, the interface optimizations, the ability to connect more drives without overloading the controller, and the fact that SATA Optical drives are still around 2-3 the price of their Pata equivalentes make you want to keep those pata saved up for your DVD burner and reader
  7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about WD "Raptor"'s of 36gb, 10,000rpm, & 8mb buffer Generation #1 SATA?

Hmmm, I am making an assumption here, but wasn't the first generation Western Digital "Raptor" (36gb, 10,000rpm, 8mb buffer, SATA 1) the FASTEST disk of its kind upon introduction?

Using WD "Raptor's" again - seek/access was BIGTIME improved via 10k rpm revolution rates AND 8mb buffers (this latter feature, buffer-size = 8mb, was already present in WD 120gb "Caviar" units iirc though), also.

Agreed, 110%, on this last set of counts!

(Especially reserving IDE/EIDE circuit for the PATA cable & slots (for DvD burners & such)).

:)

* Overall, it's just the future of HDD's really, & you sort of have to deal with it & go with/for it... SATA!

APK
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    afaik the higher the areal density,the faster the drive,hitachi's 250gb sata 2 has 125gb on each platter(2xdiscs).so it it very fast,faster than a drive with a lower density.so a high speed(10000rpm) disc with high areal density(125gb+ per disc) would rock.hitachi has said they will have a single 1tb disc out this year.and they are using perpendicular blocks as well.
  9. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna setup RAID 0 in a day or so, what increased performance will I get over 2 80GB SATAII HDs non-RAID 0? I wanna do it, but if there's not much increase, then I'm not gonna bother re-installing XP Pro then.
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Overall, it's just the future of HDD's really, & you sort of have to deal with it & go with/for it... SATA"

yep just like pretty much everything to do with a PC.. the benefits are always in the future u never get any today..

nice neat cabling thow.. he he

trog
  12. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info tigger69, i guess ima put my 2 Western Digitals in RAID 0. Is there anything better than RAID 0?
  13. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO, there is... but, it's fairly "new" & your RAID controller has to support it (I can flash mine up to it in fact, but haven't, as there is NO POINT yet in it (I don't have 2 more WD "Raptor X's" to pull it off with is why)).

RAID 6

(Which is really RAID 0, with mirrors of the disks in it as well - I think of it as RAID 0 with a mirror)

APK
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno, I put up a chart of what I found are "SATA vs PATA" advantages on the last page of this thread - the advantages & advances are fairly numerous.

(My fav, believe it or not, is the CRC checks done on data... this means reliability is enhanced fairly substantially).

That is a definite one, I will second that motion anytime...

* Especially if you'd seen how I used to cable the interior of my older PC's in the past ("sleeper rods", looked like HELL on the inside, but performed well for their time/class), example? See here (video card cooling thread, but I posted an old system of mine's photo in it once my vidcard mod was done):

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=107228#post107228

SATA cabling has been a MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR to the system in my signature's interior being FAR neater than the "mess" in that one pictured above!

APK

P.S.=> Sometime this week, when I find the time (and I will), I am going to snap a photo of the interior of my new/latest system vs. that one, just to post what kind of a difference is possible on neatness of case interiors today, vs. those of yesteryear (that is a full tower case photo too, & still cluttered to heck - I tried to put TOO many disks into it, round cables or not, was a mess! It was far worse with flat IDE/EIDE cables, before I put the rounded ones in)... apk
  15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received: