1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sb600 vs sb700 vs sb750 with NB770 HELP Needed!!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Sly.P.I., Jul 2, 2008.

1. Sly.P.I. New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All.

Sorry for starting a new thread, I've searched everywhere!

I have a technical question and have searched high and low for an answer but
    can't find one hence my email.

I'm looking to build a new system (upgrading from opteron 165 on asus 3200 xfire board)
    and have a 5000+ BE and hd3850 gpu.

I'm not fussed about multiple gpu's so initially thought i'd go for the 770 north bridge.

BUT i'm now thinking 780g north bridge in the hope that it will off load some of the jobs from the gpu
    namely physx processing.

Is this true?

I know hd3850 will not work with hybrid crossfire (which is a real shame since the card is nearly new!)

So will the 780g do anything when I've plugged my hd3850 in??

Will it in XP or is that reserved for the great Vista!!

Next quick question..

I was going to settle for the sb600 but upon reading reviews it seems sata and USB performance is slow.
    So now I'm thinking sb700, which is already paired with most 780g and now paired with 770 on a few boards.

So is the sb700 much better than sb600 when implemented with 770nb or the 780g?

Or should I wait (and for how long?) for the sb710/750?

Some manufacturers have already got pictures of these boards but I have no idea when they'll be out?

Please reply asap as I really want to get 3.4ghz from my new processor!!

PS I will prob do it just using multiplier... I'm sick to death of cmos resets after high fsb non-reboots!!!
  2. Sly.P.I. New Member

Thanks Received:
    Think I'm getting somewhere!!

So thought I'd answer my own thread!

I like the thought of low power consumption by dissabling the Graphics card for normal use then firing it up for 3d action.

So much so I'd even use Vista, prob 32bit since I only have 2x1gb of ram and 64bit is heavy on ram....I think??

So will this feature work with 780g sb700 with later drivers, or never??

Will it only work on 790gx sb700?

Thanks to all for your replies!

Ste
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    780g is nice, but most boards, minus the ECS one, are mATX. If that is fine with you, it couldnt hurt. I havent noticed any performance issues with the sb600 as it was heralded (when it came out) as a great thing, since AMD didnt do well with the R580 chipset. the 790 FX is an awesome enthusiast board with everything needed.

Ive also read that some of the 780g boards (gigabyte and asus) are decent overclockers. You may be able to hit 3.4 with water cooling (very doubtful with air) and it depends on the chip you get as well.
    Sly.P.I. says thanks.