1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scaling issue when at larger resolution, turns off and resets...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by niko084, Apr 26, 2010.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Just started having a problem after installing the beta drivers, I removed them, installed the old ones the right way and it's still an issue.

If I set my resolution to like 1280x720 the CCC will keep my scaling options that I have set including over/underscan. When I set it back to 1920x1080 it doesn't give me any scaling options and will reset my over/underscan again.

Now to the annoying part, I can turn the overscan back up but as soon as I launch a game or even log out of windows it resets itself again.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem and it was fixed by reverting back to the 10.3's. I don't know why its not working with you but I didn't properly uninstall the drivers I just installed 10.3's over them.

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I played around with it a lot more, no idea...

Switched to a DVI cable, all is well.

Funny, I had quite a few issues with this dvi-hdmi cable... Stuff wanting to run at 59hz, all sorts of goofy issues... So I guess I'll just keep using the DVI cable being all those issues seem to be gone now.

4. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I'd need to get a new monitor to switch to DVI only. I get alot of border issue's in mostly DX10 games for some reason :ohwell:

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ya same exact issue, I used to be able to set the scaling option but as soon as I start a game it blows my scaling option setting back to default.. It just wont lock, I can alt tab out set it, alt tab back in bang reverts again....

Super annoying and totally an issue that can be resolved with video card drivers.

Best of luck!

6. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Indeed I've been waiting since september for a fix for this issue. Sent multiple e-mails to ATI with no response really. Almost makes me want to get a 5xxx card or an nvidia card.

7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Oh no, the overscan problem on ati too? crap.
    Dealt with that nonsense for like 3 years with my 8800gtx and they could NEVER fix it.
    Been running at some ridiculous 1800x1000 resolution ever since. HDMI definitely is part of the cluprit.
    I think it also has to do with the type of monitor/TV you have.

8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I have heard that if you own one of the pretty high end monitors that actually has a DRIVER to download, that it will correct the issue by installing that.

But as it is, most monitors do not have their own drivers so we are screwed. :ohwell:

Something they are doing with the drivers on an hdmi signal is just messed up, it's the same physical pathways of DVI + a few extra pins for audio no difference in the actual signal so it's definitely a driver issue, probably something to do with them thinking your monitor is a TV and being TV's vary, some overscan naturally, some underscan, some are not true to their resolution, in which case you need the fix, but seemingly it's a problem with games, not sure what exactly is causing it..

9. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Yep definately a driver issue with HDMI TV's. If I got a regular monitor I wouldn't have a problem I bet.

10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well that's half of it, I have a regular monitor but was using the HDMI input on it....

I think it has to do with how the driver detects the display when plugged hdmi.

11. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    It must assume using HDMI that it is a tv and not a monitor ?

12. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well that's exactly it but it follows up with the wonderful issue of it wont LOCK the setting... It works great until I launch a full screen game, then bang it's screwed...

So like scaling doesn't play well with Direct3d or something....