1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

scariest game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Games' started by shoe16, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Definetly Dead Space

2. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    I've only played fear and dead space. I stopped playing dead space after 1 hour, because it was getting too much scary for a game.. the lights in my room were dead as well. =/

Recently, games have been using 5.1 to great effect, shit HD bricks! Like some parts of Arkham Asylum. o.o

3. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Both FEAR games just scared the crap outta me lol, I loved it, I always had goosebumps and the ghosts in FEAR 2 gave me the chills. I love it when a game can do that :D

4. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    as far as i go, doom 3. there was a constant environment with the sounds and visuals which had me constantly on the edge of my seat...and i was using the playbook on my first go thru! i knew what was going to happen and was still scared!

FEAR - was only scare in the scenes with Alma, everything else was cake
    Stalker - while they are both great games, they are only scary when u have to go into the dark places... like where the psi emitter is(at the scientists camp) and in the old factory basement(by freedoms camp)
    Far Cry - this ? scary? omg! sorry, not scary in the least imo
    Dead Space - never played...cutting up zombies isnt my thing, shooting them is..no judgement on the scaryness
    Bioshock - never played, but want too. no judgement on this one

5. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    F.E.A.R. and the F.E.A.R. expansions, I cant stress how many times i've played this game and still managed to get scared.....I remember when I first got the game I played for 2-3 hours straight and when I stopped playing I SWEAR to GOD I started seeing shit so damn scary

Kei says thanks.
  6. audiotranceable

audiotranceable New Member

Thanks Received:
    Resident evil 4 for sure, if time I played it was on Gamecube and oh man in the dark and your really into it I got goosebumps

7. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    see, the scariest part of the RE games imo was that the controls just fricking sucked! you couldnt move and shoot, there was no real aiming..it was like stop, attempt to blindly aim, and hope u hit something. wasnt the games that were scarey but that you could so easily die due to a crappy design that they continued to use!

8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    For me is quite an interesting case: Fear, Doom3, Dead Space many usual scary games don´t scary me, but Bioshock freaking scares the bejeezus out of me, i just can´t play the game, those splicers are cruel to my mind

9. audiotranceable

audiotranceable New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol you have a hard time because you can't use the Gamecube controller, I have no hard time shooting in RE 4 with gamecube, it's all about mastering

10. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fear was great but it felt like pattern to me like a scary scene then followed by a bunch of those soldiers to kill then another scary scene but it was still very good and spooky.

Doom 3 was great too with monsters jumping out of everywhere but i found dead space really really scary, re2 was scary at the time too.

11. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's talking about Resident evil Series before RE4, Resident evil 1 and so on used a very limited movement and shooting mechanic, basically you could run and end up in the arms of a zombie by accident, and if three zombies where in a room after you at once, you could only shoot at one at a time, and you couldn't really aim, it was either aim up or down, and blindly like he said, thus missing shots sometimes and having zombies chase you. It got harder when the head hunters came cause they were much faster, The game cube remake kept to that constricting control scheme but added defense weapons so if they came close you would put a granade in there mouth and stab them in the temple with a knife. Resident evil 4 on the other hand added a complete redesign of the game. no more restricted aiming and controls it was all free flow aim and free flow controls, the only thing they kept was the inability to walk while aiming.

Play resident evil 1 for the gamecube or even go old school and play it for the psOne.

i guarantee you will get decimated because if you are trying to compare it to RE4, its like night and day

12. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
  13. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The games music for the time was scary as shit, the distant sounds of howling dogs, and zombie moans, and eventually hearing the hunters hiss. The atompshere was constricted it wasn't just cause of the controls that made the game scary it was the tight hallways sharp corners and random acts of the game (like when the zombies popped through the windows), i was around 11 at the time of Resident evil 1 came out, and i played it at 11, i nearly shit myself when that happened.

The game did a lot of things right, the only thing i'd like to see different was the ability to move and shoot. that would make it better and more suspenseful

14. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  15. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
  16. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    I died one time playing Doom3.

17. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    only game that scared me is atari 2600 ET :laugh:

doom 3 made me shit bricks once but after that i felt okay it was at the start when the demons arrive for the first time

nothing makes me scared not even dead space i just expect everything you guys must be jumpy lol

18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    apparently the orig team was remaking it on the Q4 engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB_3pIxHQAo&feature=related

unfortunetely it looks like no one could figure out were to DL it.

EDIT: found the site....supposed release next few weeks?

http://www.modrequiem.net/

steelkane says thanks.
  19. lemode

Thanks Received:
    4 games stand out

1) Resident Evil: Nemesis

2) Dino Crisis (that first T-Rex encounter scared the shit out of anyone I let play that game)

3) Dead Space

4) Doom 3

20. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    For me it was a old 1995 game for the PC called Phantasmagoria. I was 11 at the time it came out, and my mom would want to play it with the us kids right before bed.. :roll: Man, I had some scared sisters.. :laugh: Even though I know I have felt like my bones have "jumped" out of my skin a few times.. lol

21. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    fear 2 projec t origin for me, wasnt the creatures that get to me but the thinking of dying that had me scared, i installed doom 3 a while ago seemed like another half-life gameplay so i nvr played it after my frst expirence... so i would say FEAR2. i played Fear 1 it was kinda bad on graphics but cant blame the game cuz i played it way after it came out.
    In fear 2 the thing that scared me was not the girl it self but the white creatures that looked like smoke and came out of nowhere in the dark

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that scene with alma gave me a fear of ladders.

seriously, in FEAR 2 i kept expecting the same trick the whole game through, it was so effective.

23. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Either Alone in the Dark on the 3DO while alone in the dark and with headphones on (remember the headphone jack on the controller... anyone?) or the original Resident Evil on Playstation. Damn. I remember a lot of people back in the day saying RE was the first video game to really scare them. Oh I guess the first Silent Hill on Playstation would be up there too.

24. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bioshock scares the hell out of me. Just the whole environment and feeling gives me the creepers. Other than that, I can't really pick a game. I've always stayed far away from "scary" games, I just don't find them any fun at all.

25. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude bioshock how was it scary? i mean you are under water? no killer people, but looks very fake and no unexpected showups of people