1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

School paper: need sources, topic? Pros of building your own pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Mar 10, 2010.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I know it sounds geekish but I wrote about computers in my English class... why? Because I had no other ideas at that time...

Anyways, I need sources that at some point tell the pros about building your own pc or something... And the sources have to be somewhat reliable...

If anyone wanna find me someone who talks about this and is at least working in the computer world, and doesn't mind mentioning me his name, it would be great :) Though you would at least have to post it. It does not have to be long, 5ish lines is fine!

2. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Ah so you wanna interview some people about why you shouldn't buy a prebuilt piece of crap? :D
    I don't do PC hardware for a living, but I love building my own stuff. So shoot if you wanna know anything.

3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I think TPU members count as a reliable source.

4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you Google it, you will find a lot of sources for that information. But here's a great article to get you started:http://compreviews.about.com/od/general/a/BuildvsBuy.htm

I do work in the IT department of a company(not gonna mention name) and my brother works at AOL. But i don't think we would count as an actual source. They probably want sites and well documented stuff, and Google is always the answer in the ways of doing that.

n-ster says thanks.
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah what do you mean reliable?

I am the IT manager for a small(<20 people) company, in doing that my responsibilities range from maintaining and developing the web sites(5 of them) , as well as all the graphic design, managing computers and devices such as smartphones. building and repairing office computers, troubleshooting software issues, managing the office network (10 computers, 2 buildings, 4 routers) ... and many many other things that simply come up...

i'd be glad to offer knowledge, but am I a reliable source?

n-ster says thanks.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I love building too :D

I need 2 more sources :) (needed 4 in total)

tbh, reliability is not the top priority... I need sources fast :p just say something the sounds ok, very much appreciated for everyone that contributes :)

7. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Well, once upon a time it was actually cheaper to build a simple PC out of loose parts. Nowadays there are plenty of companies that offer simple desktop PC's, suitable for browsing, email and office work, for much less than it's separate parts.

If you want anything else though, video or sound editing, gaming, or even extreme overclocking and benchmarking, making your PC out of selected parts is highly preferred. Not only is it the only way to find the combination of parts that performs the best, it is also cheaper in this segment.

There is also educational gain involved here. Building your own PC gives you a basic understanding of which part does what. This, in turn, can save you money on servicing, since you will know how to switch a faulty component out.

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It's gonna be tough to put it in only a couple words but:

Building Advantages: When you build your own computer, you know exactly whats going in it and it's tweaked the way you want it to perform. Building a computer tends to be cheaper and the variety of parts to choose from is huge, giving you the advantage of customizing the computer to your needs. Even software wise, building tends to be better, you get a fresh OS when you build, untouched. Rather then when you buy a PC, it will generally come with bloatware and other anomalies that tend to bring down the overall performance of the computer. Building allows the ultimate customization out of a computer.

Building Disadvantages: When building a computer, you are it, you don't get the level of customer support a pre-built offers, so if something goes wrong, you have to be able to handle the situation as well as maintain the systems upkeep, calling the manufacturers about different parts in your system will not help, as they can only help you with there product.. Also with a prebuilt, everything is already installed and ready to go, so if you find building a daunting task, then you're covered. Also, when you build, you must have knowledge of what's what, you must remember to get parts that are compatible with each other and decide and break down what OS you want to install, everything is up to you, and if you aren't up for it then you are going to have a very hard time building a machine.

That's pretty much the main jist of it.

n-ster says thanks.
  10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010