1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by AphexDreamer, May 14, 2011.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Canadian researchers find a simple cure for cancer, but major pharmaceutical companies are not interested.

Researchers at the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, Canada have cured cancer last week, yet there is a little ripple in the news or in TV. It is a simple technique using very basic drug. The method employs dichloroacetate, which is currently used to treat metabolic disorders. So, there is no concern of side effects or about their long term effects.

This drug doesn’t require a patent, so anyone can employ it widely and cheaply compared to the costly cancer drugs produced by major pharmaceutical companies.

Canadian scientists tested this dichloroacetate (DCA) on human’s cells; it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells and left the healthy cells alone. It was tested on Rats inflicted with severe tumors; their cells shrank when they were fed with water supplemented with DCA. The drug is widely available and the technique is easy to use, why the major drug companies are not involved? Or the Media interested in this find?

In human bodies there is a natural cancer fighting human cell, the mitochondria, but they need to be triggered to be effective. Scientists used to think that these mitochondria cells were damaged and thus ineffective against cancer. So they used to focus on glycolysis, which is less effective in curing cancer and more wasteful. The drug manufacturers focused on this glycolysis method to fight cancer. This DCA on the other hand doesn’t rely on glycolysis instead on mitochondria; it triggers the mitochondria which in turn fights the cancer cells.

The side effect of this is it also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can't be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

With glycolysis turned off, the body produces less lactic acid, so the bad tissue around cancer cells doesn't break down and seed new tumors.

Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in this research because DCA method cannot be patented, without a patent they can’t make money, like they are doing now with their AIDS Patent. Since the pharmaceutical companies won’t develop this, the article says other independent laboratories should start producing this drug and do more research to confirm all the above findings and produce drugs. All the groundwork can be done in collaboration with the Universities, who will be glad to assist in such research and can develop an effective drug for curing cancer.

You can access the original research for this cancer here.

This article wants to raise awareness for this study, hope some independent companies and small startup will pick up this idea and produce these drugs, because the big companies won’t touch it for a long time.

Source

I'd like to add there are a few inaccuracies in the article pointed out by twilyth at GN. Thank You Twilyth.

Here is the wiki on Dichloroacetic acid

Last edited: May 14, 2011
    LordJummy, FilipM, Jack Doph and 6 others say thanks.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    technically a lot of cancers are curable. mortality rate is nowhere near 100%.

interesting article though

Dice says thanks.
  3. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    So all these charities for finding the cure for cancer, a money grab?

We already have it... -_-

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    DCA poses a risk of liver failure and yes, many organizations are researching it (NIH and FDA included). Pharmaceuticals aren't investing in it because it is unpatentable so they are very unlikely to recoup their expenses.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why is it unpatentable ?

6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    shlesscamp and Jack Doph say thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I guess because its knowledge is considered public domain so no one can claim privilage and/or exclusive access to it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. foxy@OC'd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huge company's arent interested because they cant make a profit....

IT would be good for the reputation of the company to provide a non profit cancer healing drug..

Fools

9. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    so is this mean folding@home is useless?

10. meran New Member

Thanks Received:
    what they do from 4 year folding?

11. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmmmmmmm interesting article this proves many things, pharmacies didnt have enough care to try to bury this.

and im glad research like this is coming out its my beleive that there is simple awnsers to all cures, companies always wanna make more and more money and people's pain, its understandable thats why its a buisness but its wrong.

i hope one day and this day will probably never come and it sounds hippiesh that we can just put down out greed mongering and just work towards the bettermeant of mankind and get rid of all this stupid shit that holds us back. \ENDRANT

12. meran New Member

Thanks Received:
    my mother has been suffering from breast cancer and i haven't seen her for a month ,now she's in jordan taking radiation after 6 long months of chemo ,man i hope this is true coz not every one afford the cost and the pain of current treatment ,and hope all that have cancer to cure fast ,,,,,,,may god prevent cancer from all people

13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    This right here would be "one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind".

One can only dream.

14. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html

It's an old story but an interesting one.

And more info from credible sources (May 14th 2010)

http://www.cancer.org/AboutUs/DrLen...ichloroacetate-(DCA)-In-Cancer-Treatment.aspx

I work in health and fitness and i see all too often misleading articles, usually sourced from ill founded independant sites. For medical/human physiological research this website is excellent:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

Remember though that the fortunes of many start with a product that everybody wants and you can supply cheaply. DCA would be one such thing so it would be very easy to snap up a snazzy 'trademark brand name' and make a killing from it.

There's no conspiracy of silence. Big Pharma can still make plenty money from other medical miseries.

15. twilyth Guest

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I don't see how the mitochondria can fight cancer, it makes no sense.

EDIT: This would involve the use of the Intrinsic apoptotic pathway. Which is essentially the Mitochondria releasing Cytochrome C and that binding with growth factors rendering them dysfunctional. Though you would still need the caspase 9 to be activated which initiate caspase 3 that then goes on to initiate apoptosis.

Whilst I see the methods behind this, I think they are being far too generous.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    US Scientist blueprinted a few years back. Basicly paving the way for a cure within a few years. They were even up for the Nobel peace prize but lost it to a politically correct "green" movie. One of the many reasons I call BS on the peace prize.

18. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I always get the feeling, many wonderful things are held back in secrecy if it is going to affect a major corporations profit.

19. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    This I see here one month after my uncle dies of brain cancer. I hope for my aunts sake she doesn't find this article.

20. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about this in particular, but it's not uncommon for the numerous treatments that have cured cancer in lab animals to be stalled through a combination of funding issues and red tape. And I'm sorry but while people may get over zealous about the conspiracy thing the medical field is indeed ruled by money. I mean the number of times I have had to correct doctors is ridiculous. They get all their info from pretty drug company reps over lunch. Touting the results of tests where they don't have to include numbers from people who had to drop out of the studies due to how severe the side effects were. Every time there's an herbal cure they have to try and reverse engineer it into a patentable drug with all these side effects the natural treatment didn't have. And you better believe that while the side effects aren't intentional, they certainly don't feel motivated to make a less harmful version of the drug. I mean would you mind the increased revenue from selling additional drugs to treat those side effects? Not if you love money. The only exception that comes to mind is TA 65. It's natural but the concentrations are so low it takes a patented process and tons of the plant to extract it.

An interesting side note, ever notice the most radical and experimental treatments go towards prostate cancer? I'd wager that's because it's the one the people running things are most likely to get.

Here's the latest promising treatment getting prioritized for prostate cancer testing http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-27/health/provenge.prostate.cancer.fda_1_provenge-prostate-cancer-attack-cancer-cells?_s=PM:HEALTH

I'm not saying it's a unilateral "we want people sick to make money thing", but there's certainly powerful people on the drug company and medical ends that are going to manipulate things as best they can for profit, but eventually cures for the big earners will break through into the mainstream. If they can be prodded into using that above treatment on people in earlier stages of prostate cancer that could be the big turning point. If successful people will be making a ruckus. My only concern would be an artificial delay in adapting it for other cancers.

21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to see some attention to this point myself. If cancer is already so easily cured, then what's the point of folding@home and many WCG projects? To help develop more bullshit drugs when we already have a good one?

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Even if cancer were cured by this drug, scientists still don't understand protein folding, so FAH remains an important effort IMO. Cancer isn't the only problem that FAH might help us understand and cure.

23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree^^^
    Plus WCG is also looking at:
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They do lots of different jobs, one of them being cell growth and death : ]

25. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I agree, people at this forum posting here are often simplifying things too damn much.

Crunching for Team TPU