• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[scratch build] wall mounted game PC

Here is a link to my website: http://modderator.netne.net/

Monday 18 January 2016 22:24

Initially, my idea was to build a PC in my desk, I finally decided to go for a wall mounted PC. The reason for this is the price. With a desk mounted I would have to buy a glass plate.

Hardware for my project:
Intel Core i5-6600K Boxed
MSI Z170A GAMING M5
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001, 2TB
Raijintek Triton AIO Water Cooling Solution
Kingston HyperX Fury black HX426C15FBK2/8
Sharkoon WPM600
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

My example comes from this build:

link to forum:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

Using this as an example I’m going to make a carbon fiber rear. I’m going to do this with carbon fiber decals. Besides the carbon fiber I’m going to make Plexiglass villages with LEDs underneath for a cool effect among the components. I also have a 30cm long reservoir and a PCI-E extension cable purchased from a webshop in China. These have not yet been delivered, so I’ll post those photos later.

Everything even bought immediately:

First, I bought a wooden board and I started with sketches of where the parts will eventually go.

I’ve made Plexiglas for beneath the parts.

I’ve made the openings in the wooden plate. (I know they’re not straight, but in the end you won’t be able to see them anymore.)

Because that there are no mounting holes in the power supply I had drill them in the power supply myself. Three holes to mount the power supply then bolted into the wooden plate.

I’m first going to mount everyting so I know where the openings are after I’ve pasted the carbon stickers on the wooden plate.

Now, it’s time to stick the carbon on the wooden plate. I have made a time-lapse of it:

Part 1:

Part 2:

The final result:

When you look through the openings you will see a piece of wood (which of course is not nice to see). So I painted them black.

The PC is supposed to hang on the wall, so after a lot of thinking about how I’ll do it, I decided to a wooden board and cut of a piece at a 45 degree angle on one side. On the PC I will do the same so I can put it on there.

Finally, its mounted, leveled as well!

I think the power supply cable is very ugly. So I drilled a hole right through the power supply and put a 220V cable through. I have soldered the 220V cable to the proper cables from the power supply. I am finally very happy because it really looks much better now.

It’s important to make sure there are no leaks in the cooling system. I have tested it and it doesn’t leak!

Everything is there now. Except for the video card because I do not have PCI-E extension yet. (Sorry for the bad quality picture)

Now I have to make all the LEDs beneath the components. This I have done by cutting pieces of LED strip and place them among the components. All pieces ledstrip I connected by a phone cable because it’s four cores and an RGB LED strip has four soldering points.

I think the effect of the light from the back of the panel is really cool so I’m going to buy an additional 5 meter LED strip, which I have to assemble at the back of the panel

I also tested the PC (without GPU) and it’s really fast! I have overclocked the CPU. The CPU is now running at 4.4Ghz rather than 3.5GHz and real temperatures do not go above 50 degrees Celsius during a stress test.

I hope you like this project so far! : P

Wednesday 27 January 2016 12:36

This is my new reservoir:

This is the CPI-E riser:

I started with the custom sleeve of my power supply:

Friday 29 January 2016 12:34

Yeah, it’s almost finished. All cables from the power supply are done. I didn’t do the 6-pin video card cable yet. This is the first time I did power supply sleeving. After about 5 to 6 hours of work to spend on the sleeving I was done. The final result is really beautiful. Here are some pictures of the power supply, I am proud of it!

Wednesday 03 February 2016 15:59

I made some cable combs with a 3d printer. So the cables remain very nice and tight. This is needed for the 24 pins on the motherboard. Next week I’m going to make cable combs for the 8-pin on the motherboard connector. Here are two pictures of the cable comb:

Here is a time-lapse video of the 3d printing:

Thursday 04 February 2016 19:02

My new on-off button:

Here are my new fittings for the reservoir:

The loop is fully tested and it didn’t leak!

I filled my water loop including my reservoir and I’m very leased with the final result:

Here is a video of the filling of the loop:

Wednesday 10 February 2016 22:21

Now, I have put my GPU on the board and here is the end result:

Here is a picture of my complete setup:

Be continued with a little update and the final pictures

if you want to contact me, this is my Skype: jano19191

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Wicked........I love it.......Well done.

Your first post on TPU is a stonker......:toast:

@modderator How about some carbon fibre on the HDD?

Last edited:
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
That looks pretty cool, and that pallet desk looks mighty fine too. Like an old farmhouse dining table or something.

Very very cool..

HOWEVER.... This one little thing bugs me....

The way you did that makes the pins on the power inlet live - which is an electrocution/fire hazard. If someone were to stick their fingers in there or something metal found its way in there it won't be pretty. Cut the wires completely off the inlet and connect the power cord wires directly to them (solder or wirenut).

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

MrRobot

This is a awesome computer..MOD.
This system took how long to build??
Anyway, it looks amazing..Congrats.

Very very cool..

HOWEVER.... This one little thing bugs me....

The way you did that makes the pins on the power inlet live - which is an electrocution/fire hazard. If someone were to stick their fingers in there or something metal found its way in there it won't be pretty. Cut the wires completely off the inlet and connect the power cord wires directly to them (solder or wirenut).

well, i have redo it...

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Well done! :respect:
I love everything simple and clean... Your build is so simple, yet so beautiful!

@modderator How about some carbon fibre on the HDD?
I second that.

I wonder how loud it gets without a case when put under typical gaming loads though...

Senghong Hour

Pardon me, but can you give me a tutorial on how to mount the GPU on the acrylic like that?

Oh mama! Thats one hell of good looking rig !! Amazing.. and the video looks sick... great work!

System Name Portable Gamer
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CPU / Noctua NH-L12 GPU / ARCTIC Accelero S1 Plus
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 SSC
Storage ADATA SP550 480GB SSD
Display(s) ASUS 23" LCD
Case SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Trigger Z
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
It's a thing of beauty.

Indra Sardesai

Monday 18 January 2016 22:24

Initially, my idea was to build a PC in my desk, I finally decided to go for a wall mounted PC. The reason for this is the price. With a desk mounted I would have to buy a glass plate.

Hardware for my project:
Intel Core i5-6600K Boxed
MSI Z170A GAMING M5
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001, 2TB
Raijintek Triton AIO Water Cooling Solution
Kingston HyperX Fury black HX426C15FBK2/8
Sharkoon WPM600
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

My example comes from this build:

link to forum:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

Using this as an example I’m going to make a carbon fiber rear. I’m going to do this with carbon fiber decals. Besides the carbon fiber I’m going to make Plexiglass villages with LEDs underneath for a cool effect among the components. I also have a 30cm long reservoir and a PCI-E extension cable purchased from a webshop in China. These have not yet been delivered, so I’ll post those photos later.

Everything even bought immediately:

First, I bought a wooden board and I started with sketches of where the parts will eventually go.

I’ve made Plexiglas for beneath the parts.

I’ve made the openings in the wooden plate. (I know they’re not straight, but in the end you won’t be able to see them anymore.)

Because that there are no mounting holes in the power supply I had drill them in the power supply myself. Three holes to mount the power supply then bolted into the wooden plate.

I’m first going to mount everyting so I know where the openings are after I’ve pasted the carbon stickers on the wooden plate.

Now, it’s time to stick the carbon on the wooden plate. I have made a time-lapse of it:

Part 1:

Part 2:

The final result:

When you look through the openings you will see a piece of wood (which of course is not nice to see). So I painted them black.

The PC is supposed to hang on the wall, so after a lot of thinking about how I’ll do it, I decided to a wooden board and cut of a piece at a 45 degree angle on one side. On the PC I will do the same so I can put it on there.

Finally, its mounted, leveled as well!

I think the power supply cable is very ugly. So I drilled a hole right through the power supply and put a 220V cable through. I have soldered the 220V cable to the proper cables from the power supply. I am finally very happy because it really looks much better now.

It’s important to make sure there are no leaks in the cooling system. I have tested it and it doesn’t leak!

Everything is there now. Except for the video card because I do not have PCI-E extension yet. (Sorry for the bad quality picture)

Now I have to make all the LEDs beneath the components. This I have done by cutting pieces of LED strip and place them among the components. All pieces ledstrip I connected by a phone cable because it’s four cores and an RGB LED strip has four soldering points.

I think the effect of the light from the back of the panel is really cool so I’m going to buy an additional 5 meter LED strip, which I have to assemble at the back of the panel

I also tested the PC (without GPU) and it’s really fast! I have overclocked the CPU. The CPU is now running at 4.4Ghz rather than 3.5GHz and real temperatures do not go above 50 degrees Celsius during a stress test.

I hope you like this project so far! : P

Wednesday 27 January 2016 12:36

This is my new reservoir:

This is the CPI-E riser:

I started with the custom sleeve of my power supply:

Friday 29 January 2016 12:34

Yeah, it’s almost finished. All cables from the power supply are done. I didn’t do the 6-pin video card cable yet. This is the first time I did power supply sleeving. After about 5 to 6 hours of work to spend on the sleeving I was done. The final result is really beautiful. Here are some pictures of the power supply, I am proud of it!

Wednesday 03 February 2016 15:59

I made some cable combs with a 3d printer. So the cables remain very nice and tight. This is needed for the 24 pins on the motherboard. Next week I’m going to make cable combs for the 8-pin on the motherboard connector. Here are two pictures of the cable comb:

Here is a time-lapse video of the 3d printing:

Thursday 04 February 2016 19:02

My new on-off button:

Here are my new fittings for the reservoir:

The loop is fully tested and it didn’t leak!

I filled my water loop including my reservoir and I’m very leased with the final result:

Here is a video of the filling of the loop:

Wednesday 10 February 2016 22:21

Now, I have put my GPU on the board and here is the end result:

Here is a picture of my complete setup:

Be continued with a little update and the final pictures

if you want to contact me, this is my Skype: jano19191
how did you manage to mount the gpu?

infernodoode16

how did you manage to get the graphics card that far down? is it just the one pcie riser used or more?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
how did you manage to get the graphics card that far down? is it just the one pcie riser used or more?
I don't want to speak for the OP but, using a second cable could harm signal quality. It's probably a single riser cable.

Phlo31

Great work !
I will start my own wall mounted PC in the next weeks but I can't see any holes in my MSI GeForce GTX 1070 : can you explain me how did you make yours hold ?

Processor Ryzen 1700 (3.75 GHz)
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100x + 3x120MM fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz @3000MHz (CL16)
Video Card(s) Asrock 6600XT 8GB
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB Nvme + 2TB HDD + 2 x 1TB HDD + 480GB Crucial MX500 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270P IPS 27 inch 144 Hz - Full HD
Case Deepcool Dukase v3
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair 600X
Mouse Logitech mx 518
Keyboard Logitech K230
Software Windows 10 Pro
Very nice.:toast:

Just 1 concerns, how are the VRM temps at full loads?
In a case top mounted fan or the backside fans usually keep the temps in check but there is no cooling for it now.

EDIT: I am also not sure about the vertically mounted HDD.

EDIT: I am also not sure about the vertically mounted HDD.

Nothing wrong with it. Hard drives will work in any orientation. Problems only happen when you change orientation while they are spinning - gyroscopic forces on the spinning platters can cause the platters to flex or 'warp' slightly which can cause head crashes.