1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Scratch case] Project Duplex

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ace_finland, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

So this is my new Project for the Cooler Master mod competiton. I still have a bit to design but will start fabricating soon.

It's called Project Duplex and will be a two faced case.
    -On one side the motherboard, on the otherside a GPU and ssd's.
    -Two seperate loops with a 240radiator each.
    - WIll be made out of aluminum and acrylic
    - Most of the watercooling will be hidden

Fabricating will start soon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ace

2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    what is deadline for contest
    and subed

Ace_finland says thanks.
  3. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    The dead line is in the end of January, from experience its gonna be a lot of work theese coming weeks :) thx!

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    looks nice but i dunno how you gonna put flexible pciex cable to the back of the board and creating sleek look. pretty challenging is it?
    subb too

5. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    It sure is. I will make a cover for the pci-e ports that will hide the cable. The challenge will be to get it look small when irl it will be quite big and bulky. I have ideas in my mind but before i have the actual motherboard i can't do any tests. Hopefullly i will have the motherboard soon.

And i will get the 20x20x2mm aluminum profile this week!

6. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Finally an update! Was a lot harder to get the profile than i thought. Living in the country side has its drawbacks :)

First i would like to say a big Thanks to OCZ and Mr J. for believing in me and sponsoring me with a 256GB Vector drive. Will take some nice pictures of it as soon as i get it back. Took it to a place to make it fit the build a bit better. More on that in another update :)
    [​IMG]

The profile, Ordered 2mm thick profile but when i got it it was only 1,5mm. Oh well, would have been nice with 2mm for threading but 1,5mm will be enough.... i hope.
    [​IMG]

after cutting all the profiles with a hand saw and I milled them to the right angle and size.
    [​IMG]

De burring all the edges
    [​IMG]

All profiles except one
    [​IMG]

Welding it all together. Was too optimistic with the welding. I did not think it would warp as much as it did. All in all it was only a mm or 2 off but due to so many angles and lengths it looked so crooked I did not wanna use it.
    [​IMG]

Plan B: Cut off all the legs, straighten out one leg that was a bit warped. The rest were fine. Then mill all of the legs at once to make sure they are all the same length and straight[​IMG]

Decided instead of welding i would make inserts to bolt into the profile and into the base and top. This way it's easier to keep straight and also a lot easier when its time to paint. Should have thought about this before
    [​IMG]

Tapping the inserts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done. Still need to clean up to get it looking really nice but will leave that until its time to paint
    [​IMG]

The base
    [​IMG]
    Made a 2mm sheet and pressed it inside the profile, welded it and after milled it straight. If i can get another profile i might make a 45 degree cut instead. Would look a lot nicer.
    [​IMG]

Time for some sheet metal work. Sticking with 2mm aluminum. Don't know what this is called but it is very useful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The panel is divided into 3 pieces for now while i work with the pieces. I might weld them together at a later stage. Still need to drill a lot of holes and cut some openings in them.
    [​IMG]

Drilled and getting ready to tap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to try a mobo on it. Case looks huge and it is a bit big but u think it will shrink a bit once i start adding things to it
    [​IMG]

Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

adulaamin says thanks.
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I believe that machine is some kind of brake, which is used to bend sheet metal - although that one looks to be hydraulic vs. the manual ones I've used before.

Mindweaver and Ace_finland say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Looks good. :rockout:

Ace_finland says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sub'd. Looks to be a really cool build:)

Ace_finland says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it was a hydraulic one and was a dream to use :)

Thx buddy!
    Thx man!

11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i see how you could manage to get it to look neat now, your first post sketchings made the case seem like it'd be a lot smaller, or my perception is just a little off lol. Cool build

Ace_finland says thanks.
  12. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    I might have changed the sizes a bit :D After further drawings i realised i was making something impossible :) so i added a bit of lenght here and there :)

13. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a press brake, I've got one at my shop. :toast:

Ace_finland says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    You are correct!

So a very small update. Have been busy helping mum and dad move house, so have not had any time for modding but picked something up on Friday that i thought i would share with you.

My first part for the build, a 256GB Vector drive.
    [​IMG]

Content: SSD, a mounting plate, screws, a sticker, a manual and a key for acronis true image
    [​IMG]

The drive, looks great but didn't really fit the black and red build i'm doing. so decided to make some minor changes.
    [​IMG]

Didn't wanna go too crazy with these as i want it to look enough original but still fit the design
    A solid black one, this was very hard to photograph, probably took 50 photos and didn't get a single good one. Need to read up on how to take proper photos :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A black metallic one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made enough stickers so i have a few to mess up, or if i wanna make a small raid :D
    [​IMG]

Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
  16. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
  17. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Finally an update!
    Recently bought a house and have been moving things (mostly to the garage) so now i can start modding more and close to home so updates should be more frequent now

After thinking a while about the front and the back panel i decided the best way would be to have them water cut, i have countless times milled thin aluminum sheet and it usually ends with the flute snapping. Still need to cut a lot of holes in the back panel for all the connectors but i will do that at a later stage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One step forward two steps back, or however the saying goes. I wasn't very happy about the shape of the frame and the quality of the work i had put in it so i sat down and re-drew the frame and decided it was time for plan C. This time it is made from a 10mm aluminum sheet, it's 15mm wide. I changed the angles a bit and shortened it a bit length and depth wise, the width it still the same
    [​IMG]

Time to drill some holes
    [​IMG]

One drilled, one to go, hopefully it fits!
    [​IMG]

Time for some threading, i always use the cordless drill to tap with, so far i have never snapped a bit with it and its so much faster.
    [​IMG]

Had to change the "shape" of the mill so i could drill and tap the support bars
    [​IMG]

The support bars
    [​IMG]

Done
    [​IMG]

Seems like it fits!
    [​IMG]

So much better than the other frame, a lot of work but now i like it and it won't bug me anymore.
    [​IMG]

Bottom plate for the frame, drilled and counter sunk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect fit except one hole which i need to file a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old vs new, i don't know what you guys think but i like the new one a lot more
    [​IMG]

New part arrived!
    [​IMG]

Another box in the box
    [​IMG]

Everything is very well packed
    [​IMG]

Lots of cables with it, needs some sleeving though
    [​IMG]

Love the brushed steel look on the top of it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scale photo
    [​IMG]

More updates coming soon!

Very sad news about OCZ, the only SSD's i've owned are OCZ and i have been very happy with them.
    Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

adulaamin and Mindweaver say thanks.
  18. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Yupp, it's a press brake, NC controlled by the looks of it..

Ace_finland says thanks.
  19. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys!

Finally all moved in to the new house and got internet up and running again.

Just a short update but another one hopefully this weekend.
    Milling the motherboard plate and the Gpu plate. Only milling the shape for now and doing all the holes and cutout later.
    [​IMG]

More milling and drilling, these are for the other panels on the side. [​IMG]

All slots cut out
    [​IMG]

As i haven't had any access to the press break for a while I started looking for an "affordable" sheet bender, but the quality on them are horrible. So i decided to take a different approach to bending the sheets.

60 degree V-flute, 1mm in the bottom
    [​IMG]

Milled a 1mm deep slot in both panels
    [​IMG]

Clamped it to the desk with the slot facing upwards
    [​IMG]

Put a small flat bar across the sheet so i would bend it equally everywhere
    [​IMG]

Worked a lot better than i thought it would.
    [​IMG]

Test fit of the panels. Had to try the grommet too to see if i made the hole the right size
    [​IMG]

More panels.
    [​IMG]

Also made a cut out for the motherboard in HDF, It's a lot faster and easier to redo if i have some measurements wrong :)
    [​IMG]
    That is all for now, hopefully another update over the weekend!

Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

adulaamin and droopyRO say thanks.
  20. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Back with an update, was supposed to be a bit earlier but have been sick so haven't had much time. Anyways...

Did the motherboard and GPU side in aluminum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test fit of components
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made some covers for SSD's so the cables will be hidden. No pictures of the installed yet but there will be soon enough
    [​IMG]

Same for the Pci-e extension cable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a sheet for holding the rads and fans. Decided to make it in two separate pieces, one for each rad.
    [​IMG]
    A bit of bending
    [​IMG]
    Test fit
    [​IMG]

Time for some acrylic. This is for the front panel. Was a bit tricky before i figured out how to make it in two runs. Milled some holes and put some centering axles in it. worked out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Installed. Made it slightly bigger so i can sand it to the right size. Still need to do the rear and top and bottom. Still not sure if it will be painted or led lit. But i will need to decide very soon.
    [​IMG]

That's it for this time

As you can see i have some new parts :) Will do some unboxing as soon as i can get it set up

Sponsored by:
    [​IMG]

adulaamin says thanks.
  21. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Looking really good! Can't wait for your next update! :toast:

Ace_finland says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Thx buddy!

23. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Wow, this has some serious potential, and looks to be coming along quite nicely! I like.

As for the acrylic, I'd go with LEDs along the edges. But use some dim/soft ones, with a wide cast angle (maybe 60° or so), and serious bonus points if you manage to have a potentiometer somewhere to be able to control the intensity or even completely turn the lighting off.

Just my .02

Keep up the good work! :)

Ace_finland says thanks.
  24. ST.o.CH

ST.o.CH

Thanks Received:
    It´s looking very nice, and if you could turn the ssd lettering in the right position it will be better:rockout:.

Ace_finland says thanks.
  25. Ace_finland

Thanks Received:
    Thx buddy! I have some red power leds i'm gonna use. Guess why i have a fan controller on each side with 6 pot's each and only 4 fans :D I will divide the leds into sections so i can fine tune them all so they have the same brightness :)

Thx buddy! I have made gloss black and mettalic black stickers for the SSD, they should be in a previous update. So it will be the right way once its done :)