1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen flickering

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Techtu, May 30, 2010.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Ok guy's so i have a brand new LG monitor (see specs) and it look's great, really have nothing to complain about really, except one major issue!!

when on still images the screen looks pefect, however when using "TVCatchup.com" the greyed out area on the screen flickers somewhat like looking at a CRT screen through a TV set, also whilst gaming i get this flickered effect, I at first thought nothing of it as it's new and probably just needed warming up, but i'm so wrong as it's still doing it, anyway's do you guys have an explanation for this? should i take the monitor back or isit a connection problem?

2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    If it happened when you bought the monitor, its the monitor or the cables, try other cables, if it didn't work, try another monitor, if that fixed the problem, monitor = defective, but before going for a replacement, try to update/reinstall you Vcard drivers and always use the native resolution of the Monitor. if trying other monitors still didn't fix it. Then its your drivers, or the GPU itself.

3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I was using the latest Beta driver for my video card however once I noticed the problem I installed the official driver, and the problem didn't go away, I then come to the conclusion it was the DVI to D-Sub adaptor, but then I thought to myself it can not be this as I've used it for the past 2 year's on my other monitor and never had a problem. As mentioned it could be the cable however this is fixed and unable to be removed from the monitor end, so unable to change the cable.

Look's like I'll be taking it back :(

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dont make the 'it cant be' assumption with anything until you actually test it. such logic often fails due to lack of information.

5. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    have you gone on the manufacturers website and download the latest monitor drivers ? as that may fix the problems your having;)

oh and mussels is right don't assume it's not your monitors adaptor plug, as some of the pins may have come loose in it
    also you might not have the right adaptor

6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Just looked on the website downloaded the driver, however went to device manager and all it says is generic PNP monitor, which would be down to the adaptor? as i had this when my other monitor was connected.

The adaptor itself is fine i have since re-tested it using my old monitor. but I'm leaning towards the idea of it being a driver issue, and maybe the best thing i could do, if possible is take this monitor back and get an upgraded model with a DVI plug instead which would correct the error that my monitor is just a generic PnP. But ya can't take something back if it's not broke so i guess that's out the window lol.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    generic PNP means plug and play - no driver.

If you were on DVI or HDMI it would auto detect and need no driver.

8. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    can't hurt to enable the proper driver though ;)

9. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    So this will fix itself if I used the disc that come with the monitor...

Kinda disappointed that I went and got a new monitor with an old D-Sub connection :( I do feel like I was robbed from that as the item description said it had both DVI ad D-Sub, when I got home and opened the box on the inside it say's the DVI is something they call an optional choice, and that choice isn't by you, so it's kinda out of luck if you get one with a DVI connection :(

10. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I've installed the driver from the CD supplied, and I still get the same problem, I don't see any other option except to take it back to the store now :(

Suppose it mean's I can get the upgrade though :)

11. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    yea. try to get one with DVIs.

Life is better with DVIs and HDMIs :toast:

12. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    As I said before... At the shop in the description it said it had a D-Sub and a DVI which is one of the reason's I went for this model, but once I got home and opened the box it stated it was only available on so many of the screen's :(

13. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I don't seem to be in luck at all...

Took the monitor back for an exchange, but paid a little more for an upgraded model, however once I got home and unpacked the monitor this time I found a very small dint in the frame :( quite noticeable on a piano black finish!!

The strange thing is... The plastic bag what the driver CD & manual was in was stapled, and obviously had been opened before... is this something else I should mention?

I come up with the idea of asking them for something like a £30 - £40 cash back or another exchange

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    they obviously gave you a used monitor.

15. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    That's I first thought, but the monitor itself was packaged extremely well if it was re-wrapped :shadedshu

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    demo model? opened for a customer who wanted to look?

personally i'd let it slide so long as the damn thing worked without the flickering this time!

17. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I would let it slide if it was just an £100 monitor, but £140 is the most I've ever spent on one, so would like it to be perfect :D