1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen goes dark... fan goes nuts.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by yuntrips, Nov 29, 2009.

1. yuntrips New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm posting this here because I don't know if it's a problem with my VGA, or something else but it's annoying and a bit alarming:

Occasionally (like maybe somewhere between once every one to three days), my screen goes dark like the system was going into sleep mode and the fan on my GPU revs up to full speed and will not stop. I cannot recover from the display loss with keystrokes or mouse movements, so the whole system ends up needing to be rebooted.

I worry because I leave my computer on all the time and it happened today while I was not home... so who knows how long that fan was screaming. Don't want to damage anything.

I can't isolate any type of activity that causes it to happen.. I can say that each time it's happened when I was around, I could hear a brief click on my UPS (like a momentary power loss), but my old system never had a problem with that sort of thing. Although I do think the UPS is probably woefully underpowered for my new setup (350volt-amps, ~210 watts capacity... ugh).

I'm not happy about the prospect of replacing things like the UPS/PSU, etc. without having a clue what the problem is.

Anyone seen this sort of thing?

See the drop down for my system specs.

Thanks

2. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Get a better Powersupply my bet is on that, The Card dosent have the power so it turns off then turns back on thats why the fan goes highspeed, this is what happens on the MSI GD70 board when something on it is under powered it will do that to the video card. I know this because i have the same board and it happens to me when i try to overclock and it dosent pass POST.

3. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats not his PSU... 750TX Corsair is very good.

Anywho- It might be your PCIe frequency, check that it is running async of your FSB (if OC'd).
    --
    EDIT-
    If its not OC'd, yeah, check that its not the UPS by removing it from the circuit. If it still drops like that, check the card.

4. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey ive had your same problem with my x1950GT. The fan goes to 100% speed and nothing gets displayed on screen. Well for me it was a loose connection with the motherboard...

So just remove the card and fix it again.. and see that its tightly fixed. Im not sure whether it will work for you.. But it did work for me. :cool:

Hope you get your card working again :)

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd say test without the UPS - sounds like you could be overloading it.

6. yuntrips New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did that and it's been running for several days now, problem-free. This UPS has been a little twitchy for the last several months. It's a 350VA unit which worked well for all my other (less powerful) setups, but it looks like my current build has taxed it far beyond its capacity, and the system reacts badly if there are any power interruptions. It probably needs a new battery, but if I'm going to spend $30-40 on one of those, I may as well upgrade the whole unit.

Thanks to all for responses and advice.