1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen Magnifier for bad eyesight?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sinzia, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    My Grandfather has macular degeneration, making it very hard for him to see the screens on computers, I know windows has a built-in screen magnifier, but its options are limited.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with some of the other magnifiers and how people like them.

Thanks in advance, folks!

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

also a high contrast color scheme might help

Soylent Joe and Sinzia say thanks.
  3. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
  4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I work for a company that provide IT solutions to disabled students (of all ages). Screen magnification software is great, but like most software, when it works. There are 3 main packages that we provide and unfortunately they're relatively expensive (from anywhere not specifically the company I work for).

ZoomText by ai squared
    JAWS by Freedom Scientific.
    SupaNova by Dolphin Computer Access LTD.

You maybe able to download 30 day trials and give them ago. They look a little dated and take a little getting used to but once the user has familiarized themselves with how to navigate with the screen magnified, then it soon becomes second nature.

If you have any further questions regarding the software listed, please feel free to ask away and I'll do the best I can for you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Sinzia says thanks.
  5. Sinzia

Thanks Received:

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, I'll take a gander at them.

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Do like Wiz said and then for picture with in Internet Explorer you can use the magnify button in the bottom right hand corner.

You could also lower the resolution which will make every thing larger in size but you will have less reality on the screen too. Good luck.
    Oh yeah there is also a magnifier built into windows in accessibility that is called magnifier that can be used any where on the screen.:toast:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    For browsers you can use ctrl + mouse scroll