1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen not showing in fullscreen... i see tiles! what's wrong?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by minstreless, Apr 28, 2010.

1. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    i've just installed win7 and i can't get my resolution to display at fullscreen! i see tiles around the screen and once i try to increase/decrease resolution, nothing happens! i still see the tiles! annoying!

i've tried installing the display drivers as well as rebooting... but no success!

here's what i am talking about:
    [​IMG]

HOOOOOW do i fix this?!
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    If your drivers didn't fix it cant you adjust it manually with the monitor settings?
  3. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Couldn't adjust anything.... it suddenly turned out that way... why? more importantly; how do I fix that?! Been like this for DAYS now...
  4. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    1. what graphics card are you using?
    2. what graphics drivers have you got installed?
    3. what cable are you using to connect the graphics card to your monitor?

This info will really help find the problem.
  5. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    1: HD 4850
    2: The latest drivers from ATI's website. v10.3 drivers
    3: From PC: HDMI through DVI-adapter. To the monitor: HDMI. So; HDMI(DVI)-HDMI

I should also mention that I've done the same for my LCD-TV; HDMI that goes through a DVI-adapter FROM the PC and the HDMI is plugged to the LCD-TV.
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    aha, sounds like gpu scaling is doing this - to fix it do the following:

go into the CCC advanced menu
    go to desktops and displays
    right-click the monitor icon at the bottom of that page, click configure
    go to the scaling options tab
    adjust the slider until the desktop fills your screen (i think you need to take the slider to the left, but i can't remember atm).
    done :)
  7. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    Aaah! GREAT stuff! Much appriciated for the help, human_error! This solved things, yes! :) *thanks added to your list* ;)

*a bit off-topic* but... i got error after trying to install directx 11... "an internal system error ocurred" came up. When i run dxdiag.exe, it says i've got DX11 already... is that the reason why i am getting that error?
  8. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    excellent, glad i was able to help :)

As for that error i wouldn't worry too much. Windows 7 has dx11 installed by default, and any updates needed by games are usually packaged with the game and installed if needed when you install the game. If you really want to check if your directx is up-to-date you can run the utility here, but as i said you shouldn't need to as games which require directx updates usually include them in the install process.
  9. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    ah. thanks.

another off-topic question... i installed win7 about 1 hr ago and it didn't format the partition as there are still some old files AND folders there.... i thought it formated the partition when i installed win7, but it didn't... how can i do a complete and CLEAN install of win7 with format and the whole deal? any ideas? i didn't have such options once i installed win7 earlier...
  10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Format the dirve durring installation with the advanced menu that shows at the bottom when you pick the drive to burn the OS to.
  11. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    i see... thank you. :) will try that then.

HMM... another problem ocurred!

i got the scaling option to work for windows etc, but when i try to play a game, the game gets scaled to that annoying "resolution" with tiles around instead of showing the game in fullscreen... why does that happen? :O
  12. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    that'll be gpu scaling again, but a different setting - if you change the game settings so the resolution matches that of your monitor you should be ok, but if not then:

again go to CCC advanced menu
    desktops & displays
    right-click the monitor icon at the bottom again, go into configure
    then go to the attributes tab this time (usually the first one that opens)
    you now have 2 options - change the setting in the enable gpu scaling checkbox (check or uncheck it, can't remember which) or choose the scale image to full panel size option (if you can, if you can't select that option then the checkbox is your only choice) - either of those should fix the in-game issue, but if one doesn't then try the other one. Personally i prefer choosing the option to scale the image to the full panel size with the checkbox enabled.
  13. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    craaap! it didn't fix it, even with that suggestion... i don't understand this... before it used to work great, but now it simply won't scale to fullscreen.. at all... so that sucks. i tried to put a check for the 'enable GPU scaling' (i couldn't choose between the options you mentioned, so the 'enable GPU scaling' was my only option there and it didn't work.) i tried looking for things in the setup for the game itself, but i tried all the resolutions there, but it still didn't fix it... so yeah, i wonder what's wrong.. =/
  14. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    no ideas what can be wrong, hmm?
  15. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Does the resolution your monitor is currently using match the resolution you selected for the game?
  16. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... not sure... because I've had my monitor at 1920x1080 resolution before and it worked fine, but not when i have it on that resolution, the screen gets scaled down once i run the game, even if the game settings match the resolution settings i've got for my screen... so yeah, i don't understand what's going on. It worked so fine and goodie before i reinstalled from winxp to win7, but now it's just a mess....
  17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh i think i know whats happening.

ATI card, DX10 games, HDMI screen, windows 7?
  18. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... yeah... it might be the DX10 game thingy. Because when I had WinXP, I had obviously DX10... so I guess that's the issue then? So yes, you are correct, Mussels.
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    when you had XP, you were capped at DX9.

the problem is one i've posted on the AMD forums:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=132384&forumid=11

they arent exactly helping solve it. Basically, you're dropping to 60Hz interlaced over 59.97Hz progressive, and your screen is giving a crap image because of it. Mine does the same.
  20. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    ah, i see.. so...the problem we've got, cannot be fixed, huh? what happens if i DOWNGRADE from DX11 to DX10? Perhaps it'd work then, or?
  21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the only fix is to go DX9, or force your screen to 60Hz.

One method that worked for me is to just use DVI, and another was to use 'clone' mode in dual monitor - with the second monitor only supporting 60Hz (on VGA or DVI), both monitors matched to 60Hz and the problem went away (so long as both cables were connected to the monitor)