1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

screenshots

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by imperialreign, Nov 5, 2009.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had a conversation come up that got me to thinking . . .

where exactly in the graphics processing stream are screenshots taken? I was always under the assumption a screenie was pulled from the frame buffer . . .

As well, is there any room left over for other processing and/or shader techniques between a screenshot and the actual rendered image? Also, are there some forms of GPU/GRAM/BUS artifacting that can't be captured via a screenshot?

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok sorry thisn't isn't exactly aligned with the thread but I've just been meaning to say this.

I'll play L4D 2, stop and moments later open up another game like Borderlands and for a brief moment I will see the the Menu Screen from L4D 2 pop up before Borderlands is launched or Vice Versa. This Normal?

3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think . . . as I see the same thing with other games, too - especially if a game crashes and then I restart it . . .

almost like there's still images left in the frame buffer that aren't cleared out . . . not sure.

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. Just never really happened before with this card. Either its Win 7 or the age of the card thats doing this now.

So maybe based on that we can say that Screenshots get stored in the Frame Buffer.

5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed the residual screens before, mostly with Vista than with XP, though . . . it's really apparent, though, after a game crash (which I see a lot with modding STALKER).

I've always thought screens were taken from the buffer, but I'm certain as well there can be some "last-minute" effects added to the image before it's rendered . . . I'm just not 100% sure, though . . . :confused:

6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Interesting I've never noticed that effect.

7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one else has any thoughts or information to offer?

8. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well back when i was on the nvidia forums posting about my 8600gt giving me odd problems i tried to screenshot it and it didn't show the problems! the screenshot rendered just fine wheras the in game was all messed up with random images getting stretched to infinity and such... but the screenshot was just fine

More than 25k PPD