1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

screwed up a brand new his 6950, help

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by shoti72, Mar 27, 2011.

1. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    shit...got the 2048mb card yesterday...brand new...there is no switsch for dual bios...anyway...flasht it....BLACK SCREEN...NOTHING...any suggestions or help ....i think an rma doesnt work....SHIT SHIT SHIT......230 Euros blown away...DAMN
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try blind force flashing it using ATiFlash. Or, find a cheap PCI video card so you don't have to do it blind.
    95Viper says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    WOW... sorry 'bout dat.

Stop ranting, cussing, and post some system specs in the user cp.
    Explain what bios was used and which versions of software you used to flash.
    Do you have another graphics card you could use or IG on the MB?
    What brand card?
    Did you backup the bios?

Oh, and Welcome to TPU.

EDIT: @OP> Thanks for the System specs(Nice system).
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  4. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that man, but try to return it to the store you bought it from or RMA to the manufacturer. Its wortha try ;)
  5. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    specs are posted.....maybe i can get a card from my pc from the work for one evening..

the bios backed up automtic i think....i used the package from techpowerup 6950-->6970, flashed it under win 7...and it said flashing successful.....(BLOWN successfull :( )

@viper..thnx...but nothing against ur system...my first thoughts was about an intel I7-950 ...but ...over 15 years i owned amd....has something from outlaw :)..... btw, nice case :))))
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. quasarsky New Member

Thanks Received:
    its dead, jim.

jk :p . hope you get it working
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Flash it back to the stock BIOS. If you have any PCI video cards, or another PCI-E video card (you'll probably want to put your spare in the top slot and your borked card in the bottom slot), you'll be able to see what you're doing. I'm not sure exactly how flashing on ATI works as I've never done it, but with nvflash there's command line arguments that can be used to tell the program which card to flash. I'm sure whatever ATI flashing program you're using has similar options. Good luck!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. annonym New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the message:

ERROR 0FL01
    ROM not erased

comes after flashing it back to 6950 with atiflash, the bios is brocken....

you are not the only one who screwed up his card like this without playing one game :(
  9. jamesrt2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    guessing your card wasnt a reference. not much you can do unless you re-flash with a stock bios and if that doesnt work it'll be hard to get a RMA
  10. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thnx...i will try it this evening.....any tips or suggestions what the best way is to flash it ?? got a pcie card from my pc from work .....
  11. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lots of these threads recently lol
  12. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    fixed that for ya

people should really take care what model they purchase if intending to flash :ohwell:
  13. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had looked in the techpowerup database and 100% of the his cards was able to flash..so i HAD looked befor
  14. warup89

Thanks Received:
    It happens man, I hope everything works out for you soon.

Please someone tell Wizzard to post a couple of warnings on his 6950 mod tutorial as most people reference from it.

-It doesn't work with non-reference cards [IE: there's no BIOS switch present]
    -Unlock the shaders instead of flashing it with the 6970 BIOS

That would prevent many mishaps like this.
  15. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear this about your card . One thing EVERY one should know about Flashing a video card is that it is a HUGE risk and IMHO not worth it at all . I did this ONE time and payed the price as you have and NEVER have done it again . It is some thing that is better left to people that have the money to risk and the time as well .
    I hope people learn that flashing a video card is just not worth it at all . I just don't get it why do people risk it all just to flash a card to a higher one when you can sell the one you have and buy the one you want ? I just see not point in this at all .
    Have you tried a blind flash ? Did you save the original BIOS ? If so try to re-flash it back to what it is supposed to be . If this works then just keep it that way .
  16. Alcpone30 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some people like the buzz of the risk , hope you get it sorted!
  17. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL , Yeah till that risk becomes reality ! The they are like " OMG I F'ed up my card " :cry::cry::cry: . What people should be doing is just over clocking there cards till they start to smoke ! :D
  18. Alcpone30 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. :)
  19. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  20. dom99

Thanks Received:
    If there was no Bios switch, the risk of flashing was much higher as no "backup"

Hope you get it sorted, do as has been suggested above, put in another card so you can see what you are doing, then use ATIFlash to flash the original bios back to the card. It should have been saved in the batch file folder from wizz (if you used the batch file), or get it out of the bios database on here. I dont know how to flash separate cards myself but it can certainly be done!

If you have problems try looking through the original 6950 flashing thread, there are people there who flashed their cards individually with two cards, and private message them how to do it

Good luck mate
  21. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thnx guys....the piece is gone to hell....flashed it with original bios from techpoweruo/vgabios....message said, flashed is successfull but nothing but black screen after i removed the other pcie card :( ...hope that it is not registered in the bios at what date i flashed it back so my dealer wont see that i flashed it manually back...but i think that this is well protocolled .....ok guys....now im starting with the best i now can do........

[​IMG]
  22. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I hope you learner your lesson from this , That being never to do a video card bios flash on a sweet new card again . :D :shadedshu
  23. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no way....for years ago i overclocked my amd 650 athlon with peltier and water .....i lapped my core´s and so on....it´s a thrill to get the max out of it......sometimes u have to pay......but no risk no fun :)
  24. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah well lapping a CPU and over clocking it is far from bios modding . But what ever flots your boat . Good luck . :toast:
  25. shoti72

shoti72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    any ideas for my next 6950 ?? whats the best deal ....??...(to flash it again :)) ....asus ? sapphire ??