1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon vs CM R4

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ChristTheGreat, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys!

I've been looking days and nights for new fans in my CM 690, and my choice is: CM R4 or the GTyphoon A15 (1850rpm).

Anyone have tested these two? I am about to buy 3 (Changing my 2 led for non led + one in front). I've search, people seems to like the GTyphoon, low noise, but you can hear a small noise from what they say. R4 are good airflow, but no way at 19dBA... and they are noisy at full speed..

What's your opinion? I am open to suggestion, but I need good pressure for CPU, and very silent.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    The R4's have good airflow but lower MUCH LOWER static pressure compared to the gentle typhoons.
  3. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Just going by other user experience, not my own personally. Really just chiming in to help. Another option to look at are the Gelid Wing12's.
  5. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    I hear you about the prices.

Question, are you going to power the fans via a fan controller? If so, then a few higher powered fans can be tamed this way.

A few years back, I had a pair of those 120x38 Delta screamers. At full tilt, they sounded like a local tornado alarm siren. About 60% power they behaved enough to cool well, and at 40% were nearly silent. The air flow was still impressive at 40%.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  6. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I do not have a fan controller, no place, since I'll put a 120mm in front of the case just under the DVD drive.

I could use some Zalman FanMate2.. I have an old big 120mm fan of a friend, which must be I think over 4000rpm, I could try to plug the fanmate on the molex than to the fan, but I doubt this one can be controlled.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Oh wait a moment, are you going to be using these on a rad or strictly just as case fans for airflow? I may have gotten a little confuzzled.
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Gentle Typhoons. Cooler Master fans suck! Sleeve Bearings............. :banghead:
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I ran a R4 and AP15 in push pull. Went through two of the R4s and they're noisy. Avoid them.
  10. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I've had okay luck with the R4's as long as you don't obscure the intake side with mesh, etc. (Fan grills are okay.) Otherwise they'll make a racket. I have noticed that cooler master uses the cheapest LEDs they can in their fans. I've had 6 of their LED fans.(R4s and their cheaper variants.) 4 of the 6 have had at least one LED die. For no reason. Including both the R4's that are part of that group. (I stopped buying their LED versions after this.) I honestly prefer to buy Xigmatek fans these days.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    thanks for you feedback. As for the case I will take those 140mm blue led since I need the same color as the front one, which I like cause there is a button to put it on or off, instead I would need to change it and get something that will have led always power on (or I get a 2 cold cathode that I could modify and get it on/off pis the button of the case.

@JrRacinFan

I will use one 120mm in front of the case, with small air fulter stock in the bay under the DVD drive, one on my CNPS10x and one exhaust at the back.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Well, GTyphoon will be the choice, and maybe a delta for the CPu I'll look my old if I can control it, see the air it could push at near silent, instead I'll go with another scythe.

By the way, I've changed my mind about my 4x 140mm led, I'll use LED connected to the light button of the case.

so here:s what I found as fans:

-Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1200 RPM - 20 dBA 25$
    -Enermax T.B.SILENCE 140x25mm Case Fan w/ Batwing Blades,HALO Frame w/ Punched Air Intake 12$
    -Cooler Master R4-S4S-10AK-GP Silent 140mm Fan 11$
    -Akasa Apache 140mm Fan - Black 16$ (this looks awesome)

What you guys thinks?
    Crunching for Team TPU