• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Yasya.. with push-pins... Problem

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
OK so far I haven't broken anything, I actually forgot my thermal paste so I can't install it today..

I assembled the cooler (fan & pins) and was trying to figure out how it goes.

I can already see myself having a tough time aligning all the pins (it's my first time with push-pins).

OK so they should be turned clock-wise so that they don't pop out again. So far so good.

However, I've been trying to pop some of the pins, outside the motherboard of course, and I can't do it :eek: outside the motherboard!!

And I can see no way how I'd be able to get my finger underneath the cooler above the motherboard to push them either (assuming I can manage to push them)..

I found advice saying that it's better to install the cooler with the motherboard outside of the case.
But outside the case, I'd have no way to hold the motherboard steady.. while in the case it's steady and I can see the back of the motherboard very clearly.

Any tips or tricks please?

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
OK so far I haven't broken anything, I actually forgot my thermal paste so I can't install it today..

I assembled the cooler (fan & pins) and was trying to figure out how it goes.

I can already see myself having a tough time aligning all the pins (it's my first time with push-pins).

OK so they should be turned clock-wise so that they don't pop out again. So far so good.

However, I've been trying to pop some of the pins, outside the motherboard of course, and I can't do it :eek: outside the motherboard!!

And I can see no way how I'd be able to get my finger underneath the cooler above the motherboard to push them either (assuming I can manage to push them)..

I found advice saying that it's better to install the cooler with the motherboard outside of the case.
But outside the case, I'd have no way to hold the motherboard steady.. while in the case it's steady and I can see the back of the motherboard very clearly.

Any tips or tricks please?

First... pishpins generally suck, lol

I agree with the tip to do it outside of the case, having messed with enough intel OEM coolers.

But... if you have a cutout behind the CPU in your computer case, then it's pretty much just as good.

Look at the cooler in hand. See which way you have to turn the lock tab part to lock or unlock (if it's like the intel ones)

One really hard part is making sure the tabs (the outer two prongs) are all the way through the holes on the MB before pushing the locking pin down that holds them in place. You have to be able to see the back of the MB to do this (hence the advice to do it outside of the case). So many times, I've had one side of the tabs go through the hole and not the other! Yes, they bent, but not broken. And then knowing which way to turn the locking part so the inner lock pin stays in place.

Hope that helps. Hard to describe without graphics.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Snap the push pins out, go to hardware store buy 4x m4 (35-40mm ought do it and give you some extra just incase) bolts and 4x m4 nuts and attach it that way. Also buy a backplate for your motherboard. ( total cost will be around £4) That or sell the yasya and get something that already has bolts, a £20 cooler ought to be able to match the Yasya ( it's more of a pretty cooler rather than top performer)

Tower coolers should never be attached using only pushpins D:

That and it's REALLY easy to damage a motherboard using push pins, if you don't get one right ( but you think you have) and continue to push the motherboard will bend, ALOT.

Last edited: