1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SD Card Help

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ELiTRiGG3R, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ELiTRiGG3R

ELiTRiGG3R

Thanks Received:
    There is something wrong with the card, it is a class 4 16 gb san disk , now from the past few weeks my phone started random rebooting, then i caught the culprit it was the sd card, i had mad an partition on the sd card and some system files were there...so problem solved, now I cant even format it the normal way and when i try disk management, I get cyclic Redundancy Error, and I think it is not stable and unmounting at random occasions any tips to fix the problem?I dont really care to recover the files, only need to resurrect the card...

2. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Sadly but the nand is dead... I have frighted these problems often, with old phones that rely on external partition and uses extensively it... the card works only for a half year... these are the classic problems about it.

AthlonX2 says thanks.
  3. ELiTRiGG3R

ELiTRiGG3R

Thanks Received:
    Lol I was also using uto*rent extensively for the past few months on android to circumvent the power outage....so should I file for RMA as the card is 13 month old and warranty is 5 years? Huh...and for knowledge, what does cyclic redundancy means?

4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    If its worth it to RMA a 8$ microSD card than have at it.

5. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Utorrent on phone is a death penalty... in my opinion it should be banned from the store as such. Probably card ran out of free sectors for remapping and the firmware fails now as it doesn't know what to do, a must write in void sectors.

Btw if you dig up... there are SLC and MLC based sdcards also, that are more durable, but still the device is not meant for such loads...

RMA is stupid for such things... the card costs less than fuel spent on delivering it :D

ELiTRiGG3R says thanks.
  6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about saying the RMA is stupid, since that's what warranties are for, however, a Class 4 16 Gb can be obtained from Amazon on a regular basis for a very low price, and larger or faster not much more expensively.

95Viper says thanks.
    5 Million points folded for TPU
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try using these apps and do a FULL Format with erase option, if that falls, try the overwrite option. Quick format will do no good.
    Make sure your protect switch is off.

Here is SD Formatter 4.0 by the SD Association and the manual in PDF form.
    Also, you can try HP's Card formatter.

Card has probably had it; however, try the above, if it does not work... Call/Email for an RMA.
    I had a SanDisk card die and they just sent me a new one... they did not even want the dead one back.

8. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Yup, now that you mention it, I had one die a few years ago, same result.

5 Million points folded for TPU
  9. ELiTRiGG3R

ELiTRiGG3R

Thanks Received:
    Just to tell you guys, I'm have got the approval for RMA and the service station is jusst 15 km away...so I'm gonna give the card some time after they will post it to my address...thanks...there is a solid reason why tpu is best at everything :lovetpu:but android...and why should i get a neww one? Actually the whole story is that i have a mid range tab(bought at limbo price, lets see how low can you go...lol) and i use only the tab for browsing, pdf, gaming,shopping, maps etc i was only using the phone for the past 6 months solely for utor*ent(apparently talking about tor*enting is not allowed on tpu)...so, i kind of reLly need to use it as there is problem of power shortage and i have a low bandwidth connection...1mbps till 6gb then 512kbps...so you know:p ..and @ferrum, can it still run out of free sectors if the card has 3-4 gb emty space? And i think lost.dir might also be playing a role here acc to ypur theory...thanks for the concern guys, appreciate it!:toast: