1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate 320 bit the dust....

Discussion in 'Storage' started by johnspack, Feb 26, 2014.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Any suggestions? I have 2 more in my server, dam. They are pretty old though, so I knew it would happen. The one that's gone now can't be seen at all in windows, forgot to check bios as I just wanted it offline. The intel rapidstorage manager was bitching about it for a long time, but I ignored it... oops. The data on it is not critical, and I always back up all important data, so it's not really a biggie. But any ideas on how I might access it temp to pull off data? Bios settings ect?
  2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Unless it's something simple, like a bad data cable cable, you're looking at having to sent it to a data recovery service and that's expensive.
  3. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
  4. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting the data off it now. It's a very weird issue, smart says the drive is still healthy on all counts, but when it bring it online, my computer goes a little wiggy..... and yes, it would just go offline for no apparent reason. So I have access to it right now, just going to pull all data off, and pull it out.
  5. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    That sounds like a controller problem.
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Oh lordy.... yeah, I think one of my sata ports is already fried... I really need a SB-e board and cpu soon.......
  7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Once I've got all the data off it, I'll transplant it into my server and see if it behaves properly in there. If it does, then I probably know what's going wrong.....
  8. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Eh, sometimes things have to happen to make you realize you need to service your computer.... I discovered in all this that one of my front fans had completely seized.... that was causing major white noise on the bus, and it was the cooling fan for my 1 and 2TB drives. Ripped things apart, serviced the fan, it's all back together and running perfect so far (cross fingers..).
    Edit: got a benefit... my ancient 480s are running cooler now:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Yep, really stupid. Computers should never be subjected to cigarette smoke! I should have quit years ago. The seized fan was apparently causing all that mayhem.... the hd in question is reporting 100% health, and my system is fully glitch free again. Checked the rest of my fans while I was at it to make sure none of them were gunked up with tar too. And yes, I'm 2 months tobacco free now, so this shouldn't happen again!
  10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on the two months smoke free :) glad you sorted it.
    johnspack says thanks.
  11. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Further results... it took a lot more volts to be gaming ect stable at 4.1, now much easier....
    http://valid.canardpc.com/jmtaqp If someone ever comes near my computer with a smoke,
    I swear I'll kick them in the nads.....